If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Gift cards.

edited 2011-05-13 10:35:39 in Meatspace
Tableflipper
Why do people ever buy them, in the cases where cash works easily?

Comments

• edited 2011-05-13 10:48:05
    Loser
    I guess part of it is that giving someone a gift card to something like Best Buy shows that one has at least some idea what that person likes. I suppose just giving cash makes it seem more like one has little to no clue what another person would want as a present. If you believe that it is "the thought that counts," then giving a gift card might help to signal that you understand what the other person's interests are and thus actually thought about him or her.

Also, I can see why gift cards might make sense as presents for children as a way to stop them from wasting all of their money or something. I guess that reason makes less sense that the first one I brought up though.
  • "I guess part of it is that giving someone a gift card to something like Best Buy shows that one has at least some idea what that person likes."

Ehh I think it feels worse when they're clearly wrong though...
  • edited 2011-05-13 11:39:15
    Loser
    Ehh I think it feels worse when they're clearly wrong though...

I can agree with that, but I do think that is still one reason why people give gift cards instead of cash. Then again, I wonder if there really is much of a difference between giving a gift card to a place like Target and just giving cash.

I would hope that a person was not clearly wrong about someone's interests though since I think that could be rather embarrassing. Still, gifts are gifts and honestly I believe that people should generally just be thankful to receive them as hard as that can be at times.