If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

So I had a seizure

edited 2011-05-12 18:40:46 in Meatspace
Or a spell as the doctor called it.

Anyway, apparently I was eating lunch when I started jerking and got a nosebleed. 20 minutes later, I was being loaded into a ambulance(which is the first thing I remember after 20 minutes or so. The doctors said I was low on potassium, but couldn't find anything else wrong with me. I feel mildly nauseous, my muscles are sore, and I'm more than a little frightened of it happening again before I can get to my scheduled neurologist appointment. I am allowed to stay home, and the doctors say the probability of me having another one is rare. I don't live alone, so I do have someone looking out for me.

Oh, and these weird red spots have appeared on my face.

Comments

• What could have caused it?
  • I honestly have no idea, other than the low potassium.
  • My sympathies. I can imagine how that would be unnerving.

But it's nice to know that you seem to otherwise be healthy, right?
  • Yeah, I am still worried about having another one, or having to get brain surgery or something.
  • I really hope things turn out okay, Myr.
  • My god. So, you're okay now, right?
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Well hopefully your doctors are right and it's a one off.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Yes, here's hoping it was a one off.  It's good to know that a repeat is unlikely, but I can understand that being scary all the same.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Sincerely my wishes for betterness, Myrm. 
  • A lot of people called to ask if I was okay, and my dad offered to come back from his vacation in Aruba early, which is kind of flattering.
  • So does anyone know if low potassium can cause things like this?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    That kind of sucks, and is worrisome...what if I might have a seizure? That could be bad. And also make sure to eat...potassium.
  • Yes myrm it can.  Your body uses potassium to fuel a lot of your nervous systems reactions.   You would need to be seriously defecient of potassium for this to affect you.  Eat banna's for a few days.
  • Thanks Tuefel.
  • Best wishes, Myrm.
  • I was expecting this to be caused by reading too many Tongpu posts...

Sorry that happened, Myr. Hope you got better. I'm paranoid about these kinds of things and I hope you don't get worse.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Good to hear that you're awake and conscious, and hopefully the doctors are right that this is a one-time thing.

It would obviously not hurt to check what you're eating, to make sure you're getting enough of various nutrients, potassium and otherwise.

Also, sodium tends to displace potassium so you might want to avoid very salty or strongly-flavored foods.
  • I'm feeling much better today, although I am still sore in multiple muscles I didn't know I had.

I have been eating more bananas, as much as I hate them.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    How can you hate bananans?
  • edited 2011-05-13 16:01:29
    Then don't. Bananas aren't the only source of potassium.

And, um, what everyone else said.
  • I'm just eating them until I get potatoes and kiwis and nectarines and shit like that.
  • Also keep an eye onyourself and don't go over board and all that jazz.  Drink water, eat a balanced diet if possible.

Also supplements like multi-vitamins may help you out as well.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    This is creepy, because a girl in my class also had a seizure today. Anyway,I hope it's nothing too serious
  • Apparently people came up to my brother at work today to ask if I was okay. And some of them were crying.
  • Glaives are better.
    YOU BASTARD

YOU USED "NAUSEOUS" WRONG!
  • From now on, if Myr ever mysteriously stops posting, I'm going to assume the worst, even if I don't want to...
  • Glaives are better.
    It's alright, snowbull. I don't usually kill people for improper word choice.

Usually.
  • Did you get visions from the gods?
  • Glaives are better.
    I wonder what those epileptic prophecies sounded like.

"I SEE... SIX DONKEYS FELLATING EACH OTHER WHILE ELECTRIC STATIC AND SHRIEKING EELS SQUEAL IN MY EAR. ALSO MY GYM TEACHER WAS THERE, WHICH IS WEIRD. GO FORTH, CHILDREN OF ZEUS! THE SIX GAY DONKEY LIZARDS COMMAND IT! ASHGHAHGHAHG"