If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I was just mistaken for a girl.

edited 2011-05-11 20:39:09 in Webspace
When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
Now I don't know if to correct him or not.

And do I really come off as that much of a girl?

Comments

• edited 2011-05-11 20:40:38
    smote
    Well, you just mistook AHR for a boy, so I'd say you're even.

Also, "dearie" is pretty gender neutral. It suggests the speaker is kind of an old lady, but that's about it.
  • edited 2011-05-11 20:40:59
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    No, I know she's a girl. That was just me being anal.

Do I really come off as one? 
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    She's just being a bit sarcastic. No big deal.
  • Hey, at least you didn't mistake one of your friends for being a boy for three goddamn years.
  • edited 2011-05-11 20:45:08
    It happened to me once, in the men's room. I'll never forget that.
  • MLP causing an identity crisis?

:P
  • I don't think "dearie" implies female, really.

...and I was all ready to come in with "Lucky Bastard!", too.
  • "Also, "dearie" is pretty gender neutral. It suggests the speaker is kind of an old lady, but that's about it."

This. I frequently use "dear" condescendingly regardless of gender.

• Yeah, dear is pretty condescending. It's a straight giveaway someone is talking down to you.
  • Is that why old couples always sound like they hate eachother?
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Yes. 
  • Has friends besides tanks now

Well, actually I'm not complaining, but I've been mistaken for female at least once. Though most of you might remember that since I brought it up before anyway. In any case, it's relevant to the discussion, in a way.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
  • I don't think "dearie" implies female, really.

...and I was all ready to come in with "Lucky Bastard!", too.
  • Lucky BASTARD! You look like a slightly different variety of human.
  • edited 2011-05-12 12:34:31
    Loser
    Protega,

Also, "dearie" is pretty gender neutral. It suggests the speaker is kind of an old lady, but that's about it.

I tend to agree with this. I also tend to think that words like "dearie," "dear," and "honey" and the like can be rather annoying. For some reason I feel like they can sound condescending, especially when one says them instead of someone's name or repeats them frequently (for example, saying "honey" at the end of seemingly every sentence).  I feel like women are subjected to that type of treatment more than men, but I could be wrong about that.

That being said, I think that a good number of times (in real life at least) people just want to come off as friendly when they say such things. However, online, I am not so sure about that.

Anyway, I am not sure I understand why a person would care about other people mistaking him or herself for a boy or a girl. I guess that might make it seem like they are not actually paying attention to you or something, but I think that when people use usernames that are fairly gender-neutral and otherwise do not mention their genders in posts, it can be easy to incorrectly identify someone's gender. Plus, I think forums tend to lack typical gender cues like voice, physical appearance, and the like.

Still, regardless of any of that stuff, I believe that one should use the pronouns that a person wants to you to use even if you might think they do not fit. I realize that can be somewhat annoying at times, but I think that people have the right to self-label.

• edited 2011-05-12 13:44:19
    Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Dearie is gender neutral, no one is being confused here. You should hear my phone conversations. I've been mistaken by a girl for people who don' t know me because I speak so guide danged softly.
  • I wanted to post this as a reaction image, but the example is too mild.

I guess i'll put it here anyway just so I can use it:

• Oooooh. I get to reply to this now.

1. Gender neutral. Don't know your gender, don't care.

2. Not meant to be condescending. Think of it more of...parenty.

• a little muffled
    Parenty tends to sound condescending if you're not actually the person's parent.
  • But it was a forum mistake. An adorable one at that. It was cuuuuute.
    Debatable. 
  • I thought it was cute.
  • Writer, Artist, Obscure.

WHEN DID YOU GET HERE?

• I've always been here. It kept crashing my browser. I stopped after I had to retype a blog entry for the second time or so.

Then I decided to try posting again on a whim, cause my I-have-a-fact-no-one-else-does senses were tingling, and whaddyaknow, I can post now.

What browser do you use?
  • IE. No I can't change it. Don't ask.
  • That sounds like some sort of ironic hell scenario. Maybe you were a pretentious linux nerd in a past life.
  • Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Internet Explorer? Excuse me whilst I scoff at thine misfortune
  • Eh. It's not that bad. In the end, a browser is a browser. --shrugs--