If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Birds and squirrels tend to fly/run INTO oncoming traffic

edited 2011-05-11 15:11:56 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Seriously, I've seen more cases of them running straight onto the road trying to get across before the vehicle stampede than running backwards onto safe ground and retreating.

I've also never seen them freeze in the safety of the middle of a roadway.  Granted, that is rather unintuitive even to me as a human.

Comments

• When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Deer as well. Serves them right, the repopulating bastards. 
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    One less dumb bird or squirrel I guess?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Good point.
  • I don't like birds. They always make fun of me.
  • The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm
    remind me how birds can make fun of someone again?
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    On a more serious note, I always wondered how they don't realize the vehicle coming towards them is a threat.

My guess is either they're chronically stupid, or else they perceive reality a different way than we humans do.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    They clearly do, it's just that they (1) frequently react rather late and (2) do strangely counterintuitive things.
  • It may be counter-intuitive as far as cars are concerned, but less so for whatever the hell kind of predator they think might be coming for them. Cars haven't been around long enough for their instincts to adapt.
  • edited 2011-05-12 10:25:40
    Tableflipper
    "they perceive reality a different way than we humans do."

You mean like every single other animal we know on the planet that isn't human?

"frequently react rather late"

I wonder why I could never catch one then... (well, without using too much force, anyway)

"Deer as well. Serves them right, the repopulating bastards."

Screw you roadkill doesn't make as good food. :<