If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The utter lack of good trolls

2»

Comments

• edited 2011-05-11 20:08:22
    smote
    There was also someone who impersonated a wrestler (pretty poorly, though he had a handwave about that--the one everyone could find documentation on was the other one, you see) and then announced that he died.  (Also, one time he claimed to be posting before, during, and after a robbery in which he got shot. Yeah.)
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ Interesting. I guess I wasn't there for that one.

^^^ What you did there. I see it. I think.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Was said troper named after the wrestler? Because I certainly know who that is. 
  • His name was Elmer. Lots of people believed him and I think some still do. I didn't want to get involved with him.
  • Wait, Elmer was faked?

D:
  • Can someone clue me in here? Did this happen in YF?
  • edited 2011-05-11 20:26:56
    ^^ There we go.

^ Yes.
  • edited 2011-05-11 20:27:17
    smote
    GL: He didn't, though he did use an avatar of the wrestler he was trying to impersonate. 

I do have to admit that aside from pretending to be someone famous and faking his death he was an extremely nice guy. The other two "meta-trolls" already mentioned were always stirring up shit on top of the autobiographical lies, but he was always pleasant and encouraging. 

It occurs to me the forum hasn't really had this particular flavor of drama in a while. Maybe it'll start up again come June; summers are always particularly interesting periods for TV Tropes.

Katrika: Sorry, but the person he was pretending to be is still alive.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Then I'm thinking of another troll (or maybe he's just an asshole) who posted under the name of a certain famous wrestler. I think he got banned when he made Goatse his avatar in response to being peeved off at something. 
  • edited 2011-05-11 20:29:23
    I don't think I can stand any more drama of TV Trope's nature. It seemed like something ridiculous happened every bleeding day on Yack Fest in 2009. I felt trapped.

^ I remember him being mostly funny.
  • Elmer's IP was double checked while all that crap with his relatives was going on, I think we just didn't want to say anything to the community because it'd just stir more shit up in an already overflowing shitbowl.
  • Then I'm thinking of another troll (or maybe he's just an asshole) who
    posted under the name of a certain famous wrestler. I think he got
    banned when he made Goatse his avatar in response to being peeved off at
    something.
    Hulk Hogan was an entirely different kind of troll, though.

• Ahhhh...oh well. I guess it makes sense.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Wait, Elmer was also a fake?

I'm only seeing one person here saying that he is.
  • There is no concrete evidence, but his story and the circumstances surrounding him do not make a lot of sense.
    Was there IP confirmation, or did the cover story also address that?

Also,
    > A really good troll would completely integrate himself in the community,
    act like a character, and always cause drama to happen. He would also
    claim not to be a troll, and get upset at the suggestion, thus causing
    people to sympathise with him again and continue getting away with it.

The one thing preventing people from trolling frequently and thoroughly is the fact that this takes a lot of time and effort to sustain.  The only people who would have a real interest in this are people engaged in professional-level espionage.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The troll is a spy?
    You can't troll after you've blown your cover.  This poster blew his/her cover already, and it was damn quick, and that's a sign of a shitty spy.
  • That troll is obviously not going to do this, but you can keep trolling even after blowing your cover (provided that you aren't banned, of course), you can mess around with the newcomers and even use them to stir things up among the whole community, old and new.

For example, this one.