If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The ocean overworld in Wind Waker.

edited 2011-01-22 20:19:43 in Media
Pony Sleuth
Don't get me wrong, I liked this game. No complaints about the visuals. It was a little bit too easy, and the sidequests were a little tedious, but that didn't bother me much.

What frustrated me was the fucking ocean. Traversing it was tedious as hell. Especially before you got the warp song.

It's so bad that I seriously can't listen to this song

without having flashbacks to being incredibly bored.

Comments

• edited 2011-01-22 21:54:50
    Eh... I liked it. It was very atmospheric. The song helped, as did the passage of the day. It really felt like I was in Link's world, sailing my boat at dawn on to the next great adventure.

Of course, I always got the teleport song ASAP, so that made it less annoying.
  •  No More Heroes's sandbox is worse for me. Just as tedious as WW without any of the atmosphere, and the Wii struggles to render it without catching fire.
  • edited 2011-01-22 22:50:00
    (void)
    «the Wii struggles to render it without catching fire.»
    I thought one of the benefits of consoles is that the developers could design to avoid shit like that because there's a specific piece of hardware to design for.
  • Yeah, but the Wii is about as robust as the tvtropes server.
  • From what I've heard it has the lowest failure rate, actually.  And even if the Wii is only about twice as powerful as the Gamecube, you'd think that developers would develop so that their games could run on those...
  • Traversing the Ocean was great fun the first ten times. But then I got lost, kept getting referred to island after island where I needed some item or other to get in, which I went to get, but then needed another item, and I couldn't find the teleport song, and I gave up and never played it again.
  • edited 2011-01-23 16:02:11
    Hang on... I have a hypothesis.

You guys who didn't like sailing in the ocean, do you have a bad sense of orientation? I guess it would be pretty annoying getting lost all the time that way. I am actually pretty good at the spatial thing, and enjoyed navigating the ocean with my chart, so maybe that's a difference between those who liked it and those who didn't.
  • My orientation was pretty spot on, it was the fact I didn't know where I was supposed to go. A long time sailing around with no rewards threw me out of the game.
  • How the hell do you fuck up navigating when you have a map? 
  • I loved the ocean for the same reasons as jaime, really.
  • Hated it hated it hated it.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Music was great, combat was poor, otherwise it was just kinda lackluster.

I liked the game, but the ocean was a low point, overall.  I much preferred Hyrule Field (both versions).
  • I loved the combat in Wind Waker the most. Easy to control, you could pick up enemie's dropped weapons. And it played a dramatic note with every slash. Would've still loved it if it was just that last point.
  • I think he's talking about oceanic combat. But, yeah, ground combat in Wind Waker was awesome. I only wish there had been humanoid enemies with higher HP - Darknuts don't quite cut it for exploiting all your wonderful combat options. I guess there's always the old guy at your village and the final duel with Ganandorf, but still.
  • Fucking hated sea-peahats.

Stop knocking me out of the boat, I'm just trying to get to island X!
    Yeah, I was referring specifically to the ocean sections of the game.  The ground combat in that game was awesome.  I think I prefer TP's for having more moves and tougher regular enemies, but I wish they'd retained the weapon stealing feature.
  • You know what I loved? Swinging the graping hook and stealing items by hitting the bad guys in the head. Good times.
    Yeah, that was great.

Also, Moblins.  WW had the best Moblins of any game in the series.
  • edited 2011-01-25 20:46:55
    ^ Aknowledgement, I knew you had good taste in battle systems Bobby.

The stealth sections in the first dungeon were really tense. That game had a lot of atmosphere. I'll have to say that the first few times I was out in the Ocean were a blast, you could practically feel the fresh air as you sailed away from the first town.
  • Eh, I didn't like the sneaking mission too much, personally. But I agree with the atmosphere. I was still feeling the fresh air all the way to the end of the game. Then again, I love immersion.
    Cheers TV.  And yeah, actually, you're right; the first few times in the ocean were excellent.  It was when the map started to fill out and the novelty had worn off that it lost its charm for me.

I did like the stealth sections in the first dungeon, but I do think it was a bit of an odd decision on the developers' part to include such a long sequence like that so early on, when it's not a stealth game.