If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Scientology

edited 2011-01-08 13:39:21 in Philosophy
I find it astounding that people can consider this a valid religion.

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.
    Some people will believe anything. It's just that most of those anythings don't try and get people committed into asylums.
  • edited 2011-01-08 15:16:45
    Pony Sleuth
    Frankly, I find it astounding that so many people consider any religion valid.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    Scientology is the religion of fertilizer merchants, if you catch my drift.

Of course you could probably say the same about any organized religion.
  • While you can find ridiculous things in just about any religion, Scientology is unique in several aspects:

1. It is even more ridiculous than most organized religions, having lines like "before planets were invented" and "before mass was invented"(And he didn't mean the Catholic communion). It literally reads like a bad science fiction novel.

2. It doesn't have tradition or the smaller vocabulary of ancient peoples to fall back on. It was the work of L. Ron Hubbard, who lived in the 20th century and whom we have actual information on.

3. It used copyright to try to avoid the dissemination of that information. This is the sort of thing that pretty much hasn't been done since the medieval Church got mad at people printing Bibles in languages other than Latin.

• I love scientology for having an actually interesting cosmology. Thetans all the way!
    Thetans sounds too close to futons for me to take it seriously.
  • Pretty much what funnyguts said.
  • It's inherently ridiculous because it's pretty much the only "pure" science fictional-based religion.
  • I can't help but hear "thetan" in some 1940s continental accent.
  • So is anyone going to mention Xenu yet?
  • Square should've made their RPG series called Xenusaga :p
    The spiritual successor to Xenugears?