If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Consensus Reality

edited 2011-05-07 12:46:36 in Philosophy
When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
Basically, it's when a universally agreed upon opinion becomes the truth. See also: wikiality

What bugs me about it is that it's scary, and yet it's probably true.

For instance, does anybody question the fact that Aristotle was a Greek philosopher? Now does anybody dispute the fact that Aristotle was his real name? It's a small point, I know, but what's to stop big lies everybody believes in one day, in the future, becoming the truth?

Comments

• ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Nothing other than the ever important desire to ask questions.

The day that people stop asking questions will be a sad time indeed.

• When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Of course, think about it this way.

We all laugh and point out conspiracy theorists as tinfoil-hat-wearing crazies. 

But what if they're right?

Now, I'm not referring to the true loonies that believe that 9/11 was a government conspiracy, or that the Holocaust was a lie, or that the moon landing was faked. I'm talking about more obscure ones, ones that believe very disputable things. For example, just the other day, I met a person who thought that Germany was a victim of WWI and did not deserve harsh reparations. I also think this. But what would the general American think of Germany during WWI? "Oh, who, the Nazis? Yeah, America kicked their asses!"

Though this speaks more on the failings of general education than consensus reality.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    1984  already did this.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    This would bother me, except we've got that nice little "multiple cultures on the planet" thing, and each will have different consensus truths. Thus there will always be debate.

When Earth becomes monocultural like in Star Trek, then I'll worry.
  • edited 2011-05-07 13:36:40
    They call me Rate Miser, whatever I see... turns overrated in my eyes...

Do you know IGN said Vagrant Story had errors and hiccups, even when it doesn't? And that Wikipedia took this as fact?

EDIT:

Now, I'm not referring to the true loonies that believe that 9/11 was a government conspiracy, or that the Holocaust was a lie, or that the moon landing was faked.

Or that Osama Bin Laden is alive and well right now and that the government pretended he was dead to get Obama reelected, using the lack of pictures of his corpse and the ocean burial as evidence.

• no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    ^ Are you talking to me, or the thread in general?
  • On the other hand, that can be a good thing. Ideas like human rights only become reality because enough people thought them to be true.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    ^^^ The only time I can see the article saying that is in a direct quote. It doesn't declare it as objective fact.
  • edited 2011-05-07 13:39:19
    They call me Rate Miser, whatever I see... turns overrated in my eyes...
    ^^^ This thread in general.
  • I'm reminded of the notion that broccoli is high in iron, which wasn't shown to be false for quite a while if I'm getting my facts straight.
  • edited 2011-05-07 14:12:01
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    ^^ I can tell you're making a point. I can't tell what that point is. 

^ You mean spinach.
  • Ah, yes.

Though broccoli doesn't seem to be all that high in iron either.