If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Pokemon

edited 2011-01-20 22:46:04 in Media
Are the main games sandbox games, Metroidvanias or linear?

Comments

• JRPGs
  • Those aren't mutually exclusive.
  • Depends on the specific games. R/B/Y were fairly open-ended after arriving at Lavender Town. G/S/C were more linear, though still gave you a certain amount of freedom to choose where to go when you got to Ecruteak City. Post-game Kanto is a straight-up sandbox, though.

R/S/E  and D/P/Pt were mostly linear.

I don't think any of the games qualify for being Metroidvanias, though.
  • JRPGs

So, pretty linear.
  • I guess getting items that let you reach new places makes a parallel to Metroidvania.
  • Getting items to help you reach new places is a broad trope that's found in lots of genres, not just exploratory platformers.

The main games strike me as linear RPG with a heaping of sandbox on the side. Each game has branches, particularly RBY, but even it doesn't have the wide-open expansiveness of, say, FF6's WoR.