If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My mother has no sense of economy

edited 2011-05-06 16:11:44 in Meatspace
I was going to elaborate on why, but I couldn't do it without raging, so I'll just say whenever she has money (sometimes, when she doesn't), she'll spend it on stuff you won't use, you can't sell, and takes money to get rid of.

Comments

• Won't use, can't sell and you have to pay to dispose of it? I admit I am baffled. Pray chance you'll impart upon us the knowledge of this mysterious "stuff's" true nature?
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Is this month going to be "My Mother May in IJBM II"?
  • edited 2011-05-06 16:20:11
    Building, removing and moving immobiles such as walls, doors and windows.

^ Argh, now that you mention it, I should've posted this on mother's day.
  • Ahh, a fan of structural renovations. Technically I suppose you could sell those, but it comes at the cost of having to sell the rest of the house along with it. 

Does she at least have good taste in her choice of such things? 
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I had a habit of rearranging my dorm room every so often.
  • edited 2011-05-06 16:27:53
    ^^ None at all. Sometimes, her renovations are outright impractical.
  • It was less the practicality and more the aesthetics I was concerned about with that question, but fair point. 
  • "^ Argh, now that you mention it, I should've posted this on mother's day."

...It is mother's day right now.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    It was celebrated last Sunday I think in Spanish-speaking countries
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    My first dorm room, which was a tiny single, was approximately square except for a piece "bitten off" by the next door room (so they could have a full window), and contained two large dressers which were immobile, as well as shelf bracket mounts along one wall which were immobile.

Everything else was: desk, chair, bed, and anything else I added (such as laundry hamper and fridge).

It didn't really have lots of possibilities, since:
    * bed could go below shelves or along window
    * desk can go on any of three sides without door, where the bed isn't; and even if it's next to the window it would be badly lit.

That said, I did speculate whether it would be possible to fit two people's worth of furniture in that tiny room, due to the fact that it had high (like 9-foot) ceilings.  You could bunk the beds, bunk the desks, make the dressers go up to the ceiling and then add extra dresser space beneath the shelves.  It would be barely doable.

However, then I moved to this significantly larger but even darker room.  It was this one long room that you entered from the side at one end, and then on the other end was a window...that faced a wall.  Yes, basically, to its left outside is a wall, and a few meters in front of it is another wall.  It only gets sunlight from an angle, and only part of the day.  The rest of the day you're relying on this one light in the center of the room, as is the case with all singles in that dorm.

So in this room, I had lots of choices.  The dressers were on the side opposite the window, on the corner opposite the door, and immovable.  However, I could move everything else.

At various times during my one-and-a-half-year stay there, I (think I) had:
    * desk against window
    * bed against window, desk along near wall
    * bed against window, desk along far wall
    * bed against far wall, desk next to it
    * bed against far wall, desk against near wall
    * bed against far wall, desk perpendicular to near wall so as to look like a greeting table, with whiteboard next to it
    That last one was the last one I had, I think.  Though I think I didn't have that setup during that one time I got a mouse off of Reuse and promptly put it back.  Wow I was delusional back then.  To think that I could keep a pet mouse...
  • Oh, I didn't know mother's day date varied around the world. Though according to Wikipedia the most common one (including most Spanish-speaking countries' and the United States') is the second sunday of May.

^ I'd have gone with #2. I kind of consider the bed the center of the, well, bedroom. The less I have to walk to just lie down a bit, the better.
  • Just wait Chagen soon fathers day will come and you'll have your time.