If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime

edited 2011-05-05 16:54:39 in General
So I read Something Awful's wonderful LPs, which replace unwholesome words with the names of American snack foods, a couple of months ago (the former is unfortunately now archived). This is totally the same thing as playing the VNs so I am qualified to ask:

Can someone explain the appeal? In sufficient detail, not 'the characters' or whatever. I'm genuinely curious, because people I refuse to dismiss as mouth-breathing morons seem to like them unironically, and I honestly can't imagine what aspect of the series they could be deriving such merriment and mirth from.

Comments

• edited 2011-05-05 16:55:33
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Rin, Archer, Saber, and badly written sex, I think.
  • edited 2011-05-05 17:53:34
    Tableflipper
    For me there's shiny fights with historical figures in a modern setting with magic. And Joji Nakata. (Not really a Tsukihime fan.)

Oh and people die when they are killed.
  • edited 2011-05-05 17:06:20

• edited 2011-05-05 17:10:03
    Also...

• The concept (No, not the "legendary heroes blah blah" thing, that's just an eyecatch): Being "inside the mind" of a crazy person, someone almost absolutely selfless, with a completely insane ideal. Seeing that ideal being challenged, and how he struggles with said challenges, being forced to examine and ultimately compromise his beliefs. It's a nice concept, a nice concept that's coupled with terrible writing, awful sex scenes, rampart sexism, bad pacing, plot holes, convoluted storytelling and a plethora of other flaws almost anyone can notice, but I guess it ends up being adequate nonetheless, I don't have particularly high standards. Also, Lancer and Archer are GAR, and Kotomine is an interesting character.

The thing about Fate/Stay Night is that it has a lot of conversation fodder: the "What if" nature of the storytelling leads to tons of speculation and fanfics, endless "which route is better" arguments, "My waifu is a better waifu than your waifu", "My waifu could beat up your waifu", memes, etc. So it seems as people enjoyed it more than they actually do.

In the end, I guess I would say I enjoyed it both unironically and ironically, if that makes any sense whatsoever.