If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Works pages on TV Tropes that don't actually tell you anything about the work

edited 2011-05-04 22:23:26 in Webspace
Other than maybe a plot summary.  Which is completely useless if it doesn't even say what medium the work is...

Granted, you might be able to figure out something about the work if you look through the tropes in the work, but since 75% of the tropes on any given page are completely generic and don't say anything meaningful about the work, that just sort of gets in the way of finding the ones that actually do say something.

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    OHAI DYRE

I KNOW WHAT MADE YOU WRITE THIS THREAD
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    YA

IS TROO
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    And also when they spoil it. It's especially bad when the trope isn't in spoilers, yet is intrinsic to the plot, like Rocks Fall Everybody Dies or Luke I Am Your Father. 
  • edited 2011-05-04 22:26:32
    ^^ But seriously, this is frustrating.  And it sort of goes along with the idea that works pages are written for people who already are familiar with the work (and of course they're written by people who are already familiar with it) which... is not really how it's supposed to be, but often is how it turns out.

^ Yeah, that too.  But I'm just talking about things like the genre and medium, even, which definitely are not spoilers...  Though yeah that is somewhat related, and is annoying too.
  • edited 2011-05-04 22:26:22
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^Some people have very different ideas of what works qualify for It Was His Sled.

is annoying

OT: I agree.
  • You can change. You can.
    Hmmm, what page inspired this thread?
  • Two kinds of articles that piss me off: those that just list tropes and never explain, and those who don't provide any plot summaries at all. They often overlap.
  • edited 2011-05-04 22:51:52
    Daphne in the Brilliant Blue

Which has a plot description and then... goes straight to the tropes, without even saying that it's a 24-26 episode anime series by JC Staff in 2004, that was eventually released in the US by Sentai Filmworks in 2009.  And it had a manga adaptation by Satoshi Shiki.

Not that it would need to say all of that (but at the very least, saying it's an anime series is probably kind of important...), but basically that's all stuff that is relatively important, and I didn't know until I looked it up on Wikipedia because the trope page told me none of that.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    click edit button

add information

click send
  • Well, yes, I can do that now.  Realistically, though, it's something someone should probably have done while they were writing the summary or adding tropes or whatever.  Since you'd think people who've actually seen the show before would be the ones adding information about it.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    It Was His Sled really bugs me.

I did not know that Bruce Willis was already dead in the Sixth Sense.
    Poor Vorpy. She has never had a DVD. :P

But yeah, some of those aren't so obvious. And I think that that trope should be nuked, but whatever.
  • ^^You do now.
    Yeah, no thanks to ItWasHisSled.

Fucking spoilers.
  • edited 2011-05-05 00:02:48
    Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    ^^^^ Oh come on, I was actually planning on seeing that movie soon!
    Me too MT14, me too.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    IJBM: People who complain about getting something spoiled on It Was His Sled.

This trope is about spoilers, so you should actually expect to gets something spoiled. It doesn't take a genius to imagine that nobody could possibly know all well-known plot twist of every work, just because they happen to be well-known.
    Yeah, but sometimes works are considered to be ItWasHisSled even when they really shouldn't be, so the twist can be spoiled right in the trope description, or in a random entry anywhere on the wiki.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    This topic inspired me to touch up the "Filmation's Ghostbusters" entry. Maybe I'll go through some other eighties cartoons, and some video games as well.
  • Remember those GUYS I CAN'T TELL WHAT AN SCP IS GUYS WHAT THE FUCK threads?
    This trope is about spoilers, so you should actually expect to gets something spoiled. It doesn't take a genius to imagine that nobody could possibly know all well-known plot twist of every work, just because they happen to be well-known.

The problem is how this is clearly a subjective trope that should go in spoilers, yet people leave them untouched and just uncovered like that, in work pages.

I find that annoying.