If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"It's the internet, nothing should be taken seriously on there."

edited 2011-05-04 00:29:59 in IJBM meta
☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
This notion bugs me.

Why the fuck do we even take anything we post on here seriously? Why do we even try to have serious conversations or discussions about things? Why don't we all just step outside of the internet to RL wall and comment and lampshade on how totally unimportant anything on here is and how completely fucking pointless it all is.

Seriously, there is no point to it. Everything you say on here will never have any meaning, or have a impact on the world itself.

But yeah...is it bad to have a generally civil serious conversation on here? What's the seriousness maximum?

Comments

• edited 2011-05-04 00:42:19
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Why 42? Why not a prime number?
  • Taking something online seriously shouldn't be your default reaction.
    I thought it was someone, not something.
  • Because 42 is the answer to everything.
  • For once I agree with Vorpy. I hate this mindset so much. I don't see the correlation between the internet and NO SERIOUS DISCUSSIONS EVAR.
  • They're somethin' else.
    NO (chokeslam) SERIOUS DISCUSSIONS (stomp stomp stomp) (Wind up) EVAAAAAAAAR (axe uppercut)
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I think the problem is that some people go too far the other way.  I think it's great to be able to hold serious discussions on the Internet, but sometimes folks get so worked up about stupid insults that don't matter and probably weren't meant to do anything other than rile them up in the first place.  It's silly.
  • Why is it that on TVTropes, "Civil" seems to be a catch-all byword for "According to my personal absurdly high standards of politeness, with no thought given to the quality of thought behind any given sentence"

?

Anyone?
  • edited 2011-05-04 16:35:25
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^ You still hung up on that issue, dude?
  • When I'm not hung up by my enormous, semi-sentient and fully prehensile super-dong, yes. It has a tendency to attach itself to light fittings and raise me above the canopy, soaring majestically like a bird of prey until I see a doormouse in a field and STRIKE WITH UNERRING PRECISION, RIPPING ITS LUNGS OUT OF ITS BODY WITH MY TALONS AND BEAK.
  • edited 2011-05-04 16:44:31
    Edit: Nah, the original was better.

• edited 2011-05-04 16:43:27
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    My mind.

It has been BLOWN.

Possibly literally. I'm not sure.
  • edited 2011-05-04 19:28:54
    Because you never know what you might see.
    Actually, on TV Tropes, "civil" is a catch-all byword for "according to the general standards of politeness that pretty much everybody is familiar with and perfectly capable of adhering to, but many people choose not to because they think annoying and getting a rise out of other people is amusing, or because it gives them satisfaction to upset people they dislike."
  • If you say so bro. If you say so.
  • edited 2011-05-04 21:59:37
    Loser
    AXavierB,

I hate this mindset so much. I don't see the correlation between the internet and NO SERIOUS DISCUSSIONS EVAR.

Yep, I tend to agree. I dislike this mindset a good deal because I feel like it can stop good discussions before they start. I am also not a fan of marking off the entirety of the internet as not serious because I believe it gives people a license to troll or otherwise hurt people's feelings because they think that since it is the internet that kind of thing does not "count" or something.

I think that because the internet is usually filled with strangers one should be that much nicer. I believe that because from what I can tell other people online are less likely to understand your quirks, moods, sarcasm or what have you and thus are more prone to reading in rudeness or meanness where you did not intend it. Sorry, I suppose that is a bit off-target.

That being said, I think that people can become too serious and reject anything that may be goofy. I believe that goofiness has a place and that many times drama and heated arguments can arise from communities that are serious about everything. Still, I do not think it is very fun or appropriate to use jokes to ridicule other users.

glennmagusharvey,
    If I may ask, what do you think about how this image compares to that one?
  • edited 2011-05-04 22:59:53
    That just looks too overwhelmingly cute for people to notice anything else.
  • I hate this as well.

I am sick of other people laughing at me just because I take certain parts of the internet seriously.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    There are parts of the internet that should be taken seriously.

There are parts of the internet that should most definitely not be taken seriously.

Like /b/.
  • I know that.
    There are parts of the internet that should be taken seriously.

Can this be one? In some forms and in some threads?
  • I like you.

But, frankly, at the end of the day, that statement is usually trolling. So it would be hard for me to agree with that sentiment. Because the point in saying it is to piss you off. Usually. Not always.

• I take everything seriously and non-seriously.
  • I would there is a difference between serious and important.  Internet discussions aren't important, but that doesn't mean they can't be serious.
  • Internet or otherwise, Serious Business is the root of all suffering... and it is intricately bound to the desire to live in a Universe that for the most part doesn't put up with that sort of crap. Point is, if you're getting serious, you will bring suffering upon yourself for it, and it won't help you get stuff done any better.

And thus so far as I'm concerned, nothing ever warrants seriousness.

Sometimes I pretend, for the lulz...
    ... and generally I'm earnest and sincere in my communication...
    BUT I don't invest myself in things, so to speak, because things change constantly and the investment is never returned.   Heck, audacity is my refuge of choice, and it makes life tolerable.