If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Milking a forum for its downloads

edited 2011-05-03 21:03:39 in Webspace
Has friends besides tanks now
I was looking for an uncensored version of Asobi ni iku yo!, and I found AnimeTake forums. I joined so I could try the downloads. I watched the first episode, and watching it in that format, without censorship, was much better than how I had watched the episode the first time, if only for the animation (the subbing isn't great, but I'll live).

But I've also looked at the community, wondering if I should contribute in any meaningful way, and . . . while it's not horrible, the community isn't exactly compelling. The Introductions section in particular bugged me, as people who made their existence known with one or two sentences were met with "Not this shit again", "Go fix your intro", "Fail", etc. image macros. While it is annoying that they expect people to give a crap if they don't make themselves known, it seems a little uncalled-for to belittle them like that. Otherwise, it's just another nothing-special forum.

I don't see what I would have to gain from joining, but I feel kind of guilty about using my account simply for downloads. I'll stop caring eventually, but it nags at me. That, and the fact that I'm considering joining anyway.

Comments

• Don't feel guilty. Trust your gut, you have nothing to contribute that they would want anyway.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    If the forum's no good, then you shouldn't post on it. Enough said.
  • What the two above me said. Trust me, you probably won't be missing out on anything
  • edited 2011-05-03 21:20:00
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ Nah. It doesn't feel right trolling people who use emoticons and share my interests. It seems like the community overall is nice enough, and I'm not that big of a dick. Though I have been tempted to troll different forums before. But I also don't want to put in the effort to be a good troll.

^^, ^^^, ^^^^ You guys are probably right. I'll probably lurk over there a bit more, but at the moment I'm not impressed.

V There, happy? :C Come to think of it, it does look better that way.
  • IJBM: Not putting commas in between those caret chains.
  • "It doesn't feel right trolling people who use emoticons"

But those are the people who deserve it the most!

"I also don't want to put in the effort to be a good troll."

You fucker.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ It's bad that I have better things to do with my time than aggravate people I don't even know when they could just carry on with their business without me?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well, skillful trolling does take quite a lot of effort.  You have to be careful to cultivate a plausible persona, and take time to integrate yourself into the community, then troll it.

As for the original topic, I have done that before, though rarely.
  • Eh, if a website requires you to sign up to access its content, then they shouldn't expect members to actually contribute to the community (because they should expect that a lot of the members will just have signed up for the downloads).
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    ^ It's bad that I have better things to do with my time than aggravate
    people I don't even know when they could just carry on with their
    business without me?

Nope. Not at all.
  • Seed and you're good.
  • "if a website requires you to sign up to access its content, then they shouldn't expect members to actually contribute to the community"

QFT