If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I can't set speaker and headphone volume separately on my laptop.

edited 2011-05-02 19:42:22 in Meatspace
a little muffled
This results in me blowing my ears out when I unthinkingly plug in the headphones and don't turn down the volume, and it being really quiet when I play something without the headphones and don't turn the volume up.

Comments

• This is one thing I liked about my Mac; it had independent volume controls for the two.

(Though I actually wanted the opposite; I wanted the speakers muted when no headphones were plugged in, but the volume turned up when they were)
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I usually have my speakers turned way down low, lower than for headphones, so the only risk I have is pulling out my headphones and having sound blasting out.
  • You must have crappy headphones that don't have their own built in volume control.
    ...headphones normally don't have volume control, dude.
  • All of my headphones have always had a volume control. And they were all cheap to buy. And my latest one has a mic.

So you must be buying shitty or overpriced headphones.
  • ...define "cheap", please.
  • edited 2011-05-02 20:45:05
    CRIMINAL SCUM!
    15-20$ tops
    Oh.

I got one used for $10; a Coby pair that has a noise-cancelling feature.  I never use it though.

My other pair, which my dad currently uses, is a free pair from JetBlue.  It might actually be better than the Coby pair.

Well I guess I also have two pairs that don't even cover the ears.  One of those came with a CD player; I don't remember where the other came from but it's possible it came from Reuse at MIT.
  • ^ Those are earbuds not headphones.

Earbuds are not made to be used with computers.
  • edited 2011-05-03 13:00:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    They've got a band around the head; they're not just earbuds.

And what do you mean earbuds are not made to be used with computers?