If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Intellectual Property

edited 2011-04-30 23:41:40 in General
I know this is kind of vague, but it bugs me whenever someone presents an kind of media company, whether they be publishers or tv networks, with an intellectual property, the rights to that IP usually belong to whoever agreed to acquire it.

Comments

• edited 2011-05-01 00:08:49
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Intellectual property rights should be about the coolest things ever, except for all of the crap that happens with them.

In any case, I absolutely hate them from the bottom of my heart. It's because of Intellectual property rights that we have pointless layer friendly cameos, people desperately claiming that their story was COMPLETELY theirs and not inspired at all, stupid lawsuits over fanfiction, and on and on and on.

I hate intellectual property rights and wish they would die.

/rant

-ahem-

Intellectual property rights are meant to be a means by which a person can make money by creating something, and thus provide an incentive to scientific progress and art. Problem is, people LIKE money a little too much, which means the very rights meant to protect people can screw them over, and immaterial ideas can be commandeered. Further, it's plenty possible that they actually slow progress and interfere with art, because of how a creation can be bolted down and left completely untouched.

If anyone feels so inclined, prove me wrong.

Last time I got into debate on this, it was with someone whining about "mine mine mine" or some irrational possessive obsession thing. Ironically, the fact that they struggled and more or less failed to produce a decent work means that people stealing from them and writing fanfiction is precisely the last thing that they need to be worrying about. :D
  • No rainbow star
    ^ It would be a great thing if humans weren't idiots. Good enough argument?
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    If only.

Unfortunately, I think it's hardwired into our brains.

• ^^Can't the same be said of just about anything?
    Come to think of it, removing stupidity would solve practically every problem in existence, except maybe some medical problems - but even those would be greatly helped.
  • edited 2011-05-01 00:47:04
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    It also provides an incentive for people to come up with new ideas.

Stupidity would solve child abuse?
    Removing it, yes. By "stupidity", I'm essentially referring to mental flaws.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    That's... not a very good trait to move into getting rid of.

Flaws are not necessarily bad.
  • Flaws lead to mistakes.

Chocolate chip cookies and certain children came about by mistake.

Are you bashing chocolate chip cookies and children, Anonym?
  • Oh wow, what happened to this thread since I was gone?
  • No rainbow star
    ^^^^ That's... Kind of disturbing
    I said "essentially", which implies "this is kinda sorta what I'm referring to". Or in other words, "tl;dr".

Stupidity results in things like parents believing that beating their kids is a good idea, people voting in face-palm worthy laws, a great deal of poverty (both on the ends of those who have money and those who waste opportunities), people trying drugs, and on, and on, and on...

• Kichigai birthday!!
    DON'T STOP BELIEVING
    HOLD ON TO THAT FEELING
  • The phrase «intellectual property» is stupid.  You have copyright, trademarks, and patents.  All three protect different things and have different requirements and different protections.  However, people conflate them as «intellectual property».
  • I'm sorry that I couldn't respond to this thread. Was busy torrenting Minecraft.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    i c wat u did thar