If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"I am already going to hell for an eternity, what do I care about Unforgiveable sins?"

edited 2011-04-30 20:19:16 in Philosophy
☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
Note: This thread is about Catholics. Preferably ones that live in the Country, and not the city.

So concerning this discussion I was eavesdropping on at a Subway, one of the responses a girl made to rebute the whole aspect of going to hell for aborting her baby was "I am already going to hell forever. There is no difference between one eternity, and a million eternities. I don't care what I do next."

And I thought about the context of this. Can the general rules-of-thumb concerning hell be revised to punish people for multiple eternities? Once somebody is going to hell, how do you punish them more? I know the Divine Comedy suggested more extreme rings of hell for more volatile sinners, but we all know that is all metaironic fantasy fiction to appeal to the religious satire genre.

In your set of beliefs, if any, how would you punish somebody for multiple cases of extreme crimes?

Comments

• edited 2011-04-30 20:21:29
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Wait, how do you get multiple eternities? It's forever!

IMO, I would deviate between torturing them for infinity and forcing them to relive every single bad thing they'ver ever done, repeatedly, from the victims' perspective. 
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    yes, "multiple eternities" is a nonsensical statement.
  • edited 2011-04-30 20:22:21
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Apparently there are some sins that earn you an eternity in hell (ending an unborn child's life, murder, rape, extreme heinous treachery, opposing God, pretending to be God to earn favors from mortals, taking your own life), but I never understood what would stop you from doing ALL of them instead of just one, except for maybe suicide, implying you did that one first.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    All sins, regardless of severity, will get you an eternity in hell, if they aren't forgiven.
  • Easy, you spend your time in hell in two eternities simultaniously.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    ...Have I completely lost it, or have we had this exact thread before?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I didn't make a thread about this yet, so no Khwarizmi.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Deja vu, I guess.

Coulda sworn it was familiar, though.  It wasn't one of the ones where you blanked the OP?

Nevermind.  Carry on.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I might have posted this on Tnoph, but then again yeah I probably nuked it because I was afraid of it devolving into a shitstorm.
  • I think I've heard something about there being different kinds of infinity in mathematics. I wouldn't know much about it, myself, though.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    It is implied in the Bible that those in Hell will be treated differently based on what they have done. People usually look at Revelations and state that everyone goes in a lake of fire and all that jazz, but it should be noted that they are in there because the worshiped the beast and wind up suffering the full wrath of God.

It's more than likely that things are different in Hell for different people.

Of course, it's rather presumptuous to claim that you know *anything* about how the afterlife works or how God judges people, so I digress.
  • "If sex is sin and sin is forgiven lets begin"  Would be the common smart ass response to that attitude :p

If someone feels they are damned no matter what they do they have little incentive to change ever.