If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

One of my friends brought a volume of Highschool of the Dead to school/commending my school

edited 2011-04-29 13:06:44 in Meatspace
Has friends besides tanks now
Damn it, man, don't you have any common sense? Wait, can anyone confirm if the Highschool of the Dead manga is as bad NSFW as the anime? If so, it's not something he should have brought, if only because a teacher might confiscate it or something.

Alternatively, this thread can serve as me praising my school because it's laid-back enough that people won't actually give anyone crap for reading manga in school. At other schools (or at least, some of the ones I've heard about from tropers), I would say it's a horrible idea, but here it doesn't seem like a big deal. People at my school complain about it all the time, but I don't get it. Sure, it's full of borderline-hoodrats, but they're harmless posers, a good portion of the students are reasonably intelligent, and the workload is easy in comparison to what I usually see people talking about.

Comments

• edited 2011-04-29 13:00:57
    Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Wait, there are schools with a problem with people reading manga?

Wait, High School of the dead? I've only seen a few episodes of the anime, but uh.... Nevermind, I shan't judge the tastes of your friend. I don't even know what the manga is like. Could be respectable for all I know.

• edited 2011-04-29 13:09:09
    I'm not sure, but I know for a fact that people get picked on for liking that stuff. Lord knows people get picked on for even stupider things all the time. Not at my school, but in general. I could totally see some douchebag looking over his shoulder during one of the fanservicey scenes in the book and deciding to give him shit for it.

Oh wait, do you mean more along the lines of teachers? In that case, I'd say not for the average manga, but for Highschool of the Dead, definitely.
  • Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Ah I see. Well I don't know what the manga is like but it isn't exactly something I'd be dragging around a school.

The other thing is though is that usually, the teachers don't care. And if this is High school, the other students won't care either. Therefore, I see little to no problems here.

• If HOTD is too NSFW for school, then I should have been written up for bringing my Strike Witches DVDs to school to give to my friend.
  • edited 2011-04-29 13:29:51
    ^ If you're simply handing a DVD off to someone, no one's going to notice/care about that. I think sitting around and reading a book that's known for over-the-top fanservice in public is just generally a bad idea. Though I might have overreacted a bit with the worry that someone might get shit for it. Times are changing, I guess.
  • Well, then, I usually read Negima in class...which is really fanservicey. And my Ipod backgrounds are always Ecchi pics.
  • edited 2011-04-29 13:38:26
    Huh. I still stand by my opinion that it's a bad idea to do that (perhaps more out of sensibilities/standards than anything), but I'll acknowledge that it's not likely anyone will care that much, unless one's school is particularly full of intolerant idiots. Well, I mean, if people do see you doing that, they might form unkind opinions about you, but I can't imagine most people giving you crap to your face. That's essentially how it would be at my school. I wouldn't be comfortable reading ecchi stuff around anyone, myself, though. It strikes me as a little too . . . personal. Plus, in some cases there's the off chance that someone asks about it/looks over your shoulder and shit happens. Not likely, though.
  • edited 2017-07-20 09:03:48