If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Creeped out by lurkers on TV Tropes

edited 2011-04-29 09:58:06 in Webspace
Because you never know what you might see.
OK, I understand that if you post something on a publically viewable site where anyone can read it, you are effectively publishing it for all the world to see.

But somehow, the idea of somebody silently reading through comments posted in places like Yack Fest, which are, to my mind, friends talking among friends, creeps me out a bit.

I mean, particularly when TV Tropes' forums were much smaller, which really wasn't that long ago, I felt there was a sense that anything said in one of the megathreads there was said in confidence, just between you and some friends, as it were.  It shouldn't be public.

I mean, I realise it is, but... IDK.  Anyone else get what I mean?

Comments

• I guess I can see where you're coming from, but I see things from a completely different angle being a habitual lurker myself. It usually takes several months of lurking before I'm comfortable enough with a particular community to start posting. I always saw what was posted in those mega threads as being meant for anyone who wanted to read it, with comments of course being welcome as they add to the discussion.

If I ever happened upon something I was reading that I thought wasn't supposed to be public (like that bug that let people read others' PMs), I wouldn't read it. But anything else served as fuel for getting a feel for the community in a way that would let me see where I might fit in.
  • Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Sorry
  • edited 2011-04-29 10:13:02
    Because you never know what you might see.
    Well, you two actually joined the community and stuck around and made posts and stuff, so that's different.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I dunno about others but when I joined, I never read through the megathreads. 

They are just tooo big to go through.
  • @Khwarizmi: Oh, ok, then I may not be understanding the context of this thread.

You're talking about people who only ever lurk, without ever posting?
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Yes, people who lurk, but never post.
  • You can change. You can.
    Like me just now? :D
  • Don't you know that you're suppose to LURK MOAR?

:|
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Juan, here?

That's different, though, because IJBM is more debate oriented.  It's not the same as, say, Odd Confessions or Insecurities.
    Cygan and GMH convinced me. And I just wanted to make an amusing entrance. -shrug-

But yeah, I know what you mean. Kinda why I deleted my old account. (Although that was because I didn't want to see none of those PMs again and I'm too lazy to delete it all)
  • edited 2011-04-29 10:41:41
    Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Never thought of that, I normally don''t lurk those things, too big and a mite too personal and usually nothing I'm interested in is in them. I prefer to go straight for something that's fascinating in the title. The Megathreads and confession/insecurity ones just seem  like 'Just for close knit "hugbox" tropers.
  • edited 2011-04-29 10:50:02
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    JUAN-CHAN!
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    For some reason seeing Japanese honorifics used in Spanish names makes me feel uneasy.

So I'm not the only one who wants to shoot Anonym for that?

• edited 2011-04-29 20:15:13
    YOU DO NOT NEED TO READ EVERY PAGE OF A MEGATHREAD

IT IS NOT ONE GRAND CONVERSATION THAT YOU MUST FOLLOW FROM THE BEGINNING

"ESPECIALLY IF IT HAS THE WORD "RANDOM" IN THE TITLE"
  • I am lurking your threads reading your convos.