If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Guns.

Comments

• In the end, I wouldn't try to kill him/her unless things were getting serious. I'd be more focused on making sure they don't get in in the first place.
  • edited 2011-04-28 19:53:29
    I thought you lot were being serious about getting back to your cartoons in an emergency situation. Misunderstanding.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    "In the end, I wouldn't try to kill him/her unless things were getting serious. I'd be more focused on making sure they don't get in in the first place."

Good idea.
    • also what are beer arms
  • and I'm just ingorming him that he has the right to do so.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Beer arms:

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    niiiiiice
  • "I kinda want a gun when I grow up. But I can't really do anything with it except shoot people, but that would be wrong."

Read that as "I kinda want to be a gun when I grow up."

"American culture pratically fetishizes gun ownership."

Except, not really. Perhaps conservative / southern American culture.

"... Mace does a lot. These days, it's made of pepper spray, which will irritate the person's eyes to the point of near-blindness. If they don't die of it."

Mace can kill?

"and if sa criminal breaks in? if someone tries to coerce me?"

...Coerce? You mean like, trying to talk you into something? Just say no and walk away. That's really not the kind of situation that requires a gun. What the fuck.

Also, lol I'm responding to multiple posts at once, I'm such a troll guiz.
  • ok coerce was putting it too lightly the point is he's armed and i'm not so what does that mean?
  • edited 2011-04-28 19:56:49
    Mace can kill?

Well, pepper spray is officially non-lethal, but it's still been responsible for some deaths, even if it isn't super-common.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-04-28 19:58:04
    I think that's just called armed and dangerous.
    Yes. Especially if the victim is asthmatic/allergic to a component.
  • Exactly and i'd rather be armed.
    Arm yourself with mace.
  • and if that fails?
    What if your gun fails?
  • Point. but we should both clarify the criminal could be wearing gogles or such other things, in your scenario the gun could jam. What is it whith people who think owning a gun is such a horrible thing and that citizens shouldn't be allowed to do so? We're peacefull individuals and it puts us at a disadvantage.
  • Besides, it seems like it'd be a little easier to aim at someone with mace then a gun, but considering I have no experience with either...
  • If you're so paranoid that you're planning for what happens if the burglar entering your house is wearing goggles and a facemask, rather than just worrying about whether a burglar is going to enter your house at all, you have bigger problems than worrying about people just breaking into your house, and you're probably not the kind of person I'd trust with a gun.
    Well it's an easier way to kill someone (as it somewhat distances the target from the killer, rather than having to get up close and tear his flesh, you pull and bang so to speak) so if tempers give (which they do) more deaths. If guns weren't as available in general then criminals wouldn't be using them either.

As I mentioned the stats gun crime in the UK is high where the most number of REGISTERED guns are: the countryside, whereas in the urban areas (no registration) thought to have more gun crime due to media image, there is very little.
    "Point. but we should both clarify the criminal could be wearing gogles or such other things, in your scenario the gun could jam. What is it whith people who think owning a gun is such a horrible thing and that citizens shouldn't be allowed to do so? We're peacefull individuals and it puts us at a disadvantage."

a) You are implying that every single individual in the world who could get a gun would be reasonable with it.

b) You are implying a criminal would definitely come in armed.
  • c) You are implying any criminal would actually analyze the situation so thoroughly as to think to wear goggles.
    d) You are assuming the goggles do something.
  • I'm a pacifist my examples are just illustration.  I defend the right to keep and bare arms.  It's as vital as the right to frree speach or the rights to due process, double jeopardy, self-incrimination, and eminent domain.
  • edited 2011-04-28 20:15:20
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    See I don't agree it is a vital right, but I'm not willing to argue too much now as it's late and I've had a fair share of alcohol.

Maybe a thread for OTC sometime.
  • edited 2011-04-28 20:15:42
    Because you never know what you might see.
    @ Ian: Can you cite a source for those stats?  I was under the opposite impression.  I live in the countryside and gun crime in the area is extremely rare on the news, even though I know several people who own guns.

Meanwhile, I was under the impression that e.g. London and Nottingham experienced frequent gun crime.
  • edited 2011-04-28 20:16:30
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Well, in the cities there's more violent crime, but that's just because of the higher population/higher population density.

For example, there are many people with firearms in Texas, a huge state with large stretches of little but desert in between towns. In New Jersey, firearms are extremely hard to procure, based on the fact that we're a little cramped in here. 
  • edited 2011-04-28 20:20:18
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^^ The last Census. If you/I can find it on BBC iplayer there was a programme about the Census results it has a segment on gun crime and areas purely because it is so unexpected to see it against the popular media opinion.

(It was on about a month ago presented by andrew Marr, I'll see If I can get a link)

Edit: It isn't on iplayer, so I'll see if I can find anything relating to it.
  • Ian, you don't seem to understand that criminals will always have access to guns. Having strict gun laws only assures that the guy that was already going to murder someone can do it that much easier. Criminals are less likely to mug Granny if they know she's packing a .45.
    They don't ALWAYS have access, esp not in a society with little access to guns at all.

However quote:

"We compare town and country, and where you're more likely to be a victim of gun crime - it's not where you think."
  • The solution is to use a crossbow.

d:

(I think those are illegal in some places that allow weapons too though...)