If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This is the most disturbing thread on the TVTropes forum.

edited 2011-04-27 14:43:24 in Webspace
When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
It's about how the society in Brave New World is a great place to live.

Myrm, Iaculus, you were there too, no? Let us discuss. Some sample quotes:

"I believe narcs [narcotics police] to be enemies of humankind, and that whatever horrible things that may happen to a narc are, by definition, entirely justified."

"You know how two thirds of the population were sterilized? That seems to be a pretty big downside."

"Not really.

A) They're aculturated.

B) Gotta pull population control at some point."

"I might still choose happiness over progress. Or intelligence. Or 'meaning'. Or maybe even freedom.

Why try to escape from something that can look perfect?"

Comments

• And people have trouble understanding my dislike for On-Topic.
  • edited 2011-04-27 14:46:11
    " I might still choose happiness over progress. Or intelligence. Or 'meaning'. Or maybe even freedom.Why try to escape from something that can look perfect?"

I agree with this.
  • That was posted in OT?

And I'm afraid to post there lest I look stupid? The fuck?
  • edited 2011-04-27 14:54:40
    Because you never know what you might see.
    I don't see anything wrong with a society where people had the option to choose happiness over intelligence, meaning or freedom, although I can't personally imagine being meaningfully happy without those things.
  • edited 2011-04-27 14:50:37
    Some of the people in there are reasonably intelligent. Others are this. 

^ That's the point. Happiness is good and all, but with no freedom, intelligence, or meaning is it ever going to be worthwhile?

It's like sex. Which would you prefer, sex every night with strangers or sex every month with a person you really like? 
  • edited 2011-04-27 14:53:06
    ^ If I'm 100% convinced that I did, what's the difference?

Besides, nothing anyone does has meaning or worth besides the worth people assign to it.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-04-27 14:56:38
    ^^That's not really a good analogy. You could have a really amazing lover who just happens to be a terrible lay. Alternately, all of those strangers could wind up being awesome in the sack. Not to mention, there's always the possibility of a threeway with someone you really like and a stranger, two people you really like, or two strangers, and don't even get me started on orgies.

You can't have an orgy with happiness devoid of freedom, intelligence or meaning and freedom, intelligence and meaning without happiness.
  • edited 2011-04-27 14:58:25
    ^^ Depends on what happiness one is quantifying.

Physical happiness, spiritual happiness, emotional happiness, and intellectual happiness are different things. You can have one without the other, or all four. Would you rather live in a world where you can have one with fanciful delusions of the other three, or where you can have three? 

^ In the book, hedonism as the norm meant that people had sex and drugs and fun 24/7. They held no intellectualism, appreciation of life, goals or ambitions, or hints at a need for art, be it music, dance, or visual mediums. I merely used that analogy as it was the first to pop into my head. 
  • ...Wait, what?
  • This is going to turn into the thread itself, isn't it?

Can we at least acknowledge that the narcotics police guy is a fuckwad?
  • ^ Yes and yes.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    ^^ Yes and yesser. 
  • edited 2011-04-27 22:47:07
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^

"I
    believe narcs [narcotics police] to be enemies of humankind, and that
    whatever horrible things that may happen to a narc are, by definition,
    entirely justified."

"You know how two thirds of the population were sterilized? That seems to be a pretty big downside."

"Not really.A) They're aculturated.B) Gotta pull population control at some point."

"I
    might still choose happiness over progress. Or intelligence. Or
    'meaning'. Or maybe even freedom.Why try to escape from something that
    can look perfect?"

Welp, I wholly disagree with every single one of those statements.
  • My god, Tongpu and Savage Heathen?!

Both members of the Insane Fucknuts in one thread?!
  • >most disturbing thread

>not in Forum Games

OH NO TONGPU OH NO

• They held no intellectualism, appreciation of life, goals or ambitions,
    or hints at a need for art, be it music, dance, or visual mediums.

Interesting, tell me more.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Deboss, that also means no progress.  Science and technology are the products of culture.  That thread is not talking about a purely rational, art-free society, it's talking about a boring, stagnant society.

Unless that's what you want.
  • I...What. Is that thread seriously trying to make a case for a totalitarian society where the masses are controlled through mindless hedonism (If this sounds stupid, please note I've only been given an overview of the book and have only a basic idea of what it's about)?  Isn't the book itself specifically trying to argue against the creation of a society like that?  And what's apparently so bad about society now that something like that would be preferrable?
  • I'd say culture is the unintended side effect of technology as is all civilization, but that's fair enough.
  • RTL: No matter what theme a work is agaist, there will be a Misaimed Fandom that thinks it's awesome.
    No, wait, I was wrong.

This thread is far, far worse. There's actually an atmosphere of horror and despair around it, it's so bad.

Hint: castration. 
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ I find the premise of that thread morbidly hilarious.
  • I already made a thread to make fun of that!

Sadly, people got distracted by The Beatles.
  • I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my most disturbing thread on the TvTropes forum.
  • Why does Commander Shepard want to castrate himself?
    I thought he died? 
  • He got better.
  • Why does Commander Shepard want to castrate himself?

Asari sex.

It has... side effects.
  • "How may I go about being castrated?"

Why was I not surprised that it was made by LH?

I used to browse OTC, I guess I missed a lot of drama, dammit!