If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Getting banned

edited 2011-04-27 02:50:36 in Webspace
Glaives are better.
Major disclaimer: This isn't meant to be anything other than kvetching. I'm not asking for anything, and I'm certainly not trying to antagonize anyone, but I feel like it has to be said. If I do end up antagonizing someone, please contact me and I'll replace this with something less offensive. Unlike most reality TV stars, I would like to make friends here.

I've been banned from TV Tropes multiple times. Three times from the forum, twice from editing, and Google banned twice. This is a pretty extensive record, and anyone looking at it would probably conclude that I'd earned those bans.

I disagree. I'll explain.

The first time I was banned it was for a simple matter. I created a topic about furries, which was apparently verboten. I wasn't kvetching about furries in the typical drama-creating way, however; I was telling a story about how when I was at the Renaissance festival, furries in fursuits were everywhere, and how I felt that it broke the theme. Even though many furries were on the site, the overall feeling in the thread was that costumes should fit the theme of the festival. I say "was" because the topic was deleted and I was banned for twenty-four hours, all without notice, warning or explanation.

I theorized that the reason why I had been banned was that I had posted about furries, which are drama magnets, and I decided that I wouldn't post about them again. However, the next time I was banned because I (without the use of profanity, or even singling out any other troper) advocated the idea that Nazi fetishism and bestiality were morally questionable in a thread about that subject. I even mentioned that it was only my opinion, but that I had moral qualms about those fetishes. Apparently another troper felt differently, because once again I was banned without any notice, warning or explanation.

When the ban expired on the forums, I decided to cautiously post again. I posted in a few threads, going for a more neutral slant than I had before. Then, while trying to edit the wiki, I noticed that I'd been edit banned, and I went to the "Edit Banned - Would Like to Edit Again" topic to request to be unbanned. This was when I was banned for a third time. Although I was polite and used formal language, the person who banned me came into the thread, called me a "major rude jackhole" and permanently banned me from the site.

This left me more puzzled than before. After waiting for about a month, I decided to create an alternative account - "InkyQuills" - for the sole purpose of emailing the person who had banned me. He liked the letter and allowed me to post using the InkyQuills account. This was when I was edit banned for the second time; after I commented in a topic about domestic abuse saying that I couldn't stand to watch any media with scenes of rape or violence against women, I was stealthily edit banned for "misogyny," which even the mods I contacted couldn't figure out.

Nevertheless, after the last time I'd been banned I decided not to visit the left side of the wiki, so I continued to post. This was when I was banned for the final time; in a topic in which tropers talked about other tropers who scared them, I mentioned three tropers: one who had fantasies of murdering the people with whom he disagreed politically, one who had fantasies about killing the male gender via plague, and one who had fantasies of fictional characters coming to life and serving as their guardians. I was almost immediately Google banned.

I'll admit that this last time was completely justified; even though I didn't mention any tropers by name and all had left the site by the time I posted, the descriptions were enough, and if I'd taken five minutes to research the rules I'd have known that even talking negatively about tropers in a roundabout way was forbidden.

Still, even though this is never going to get me back on TV Tropes (and probably stands a good chance of getting me banned here, too) was I always in the wrong? It bugs me, because I never felt like I had a line of communication between me and the admin, where I could plead my case. And I feel like I could have contributed a lot more to the site, if I'd had the chance.

Comments

• Other than that last one, I can't see why any of those would get you banned.

You didn't get any warnings prior to some of these? Shit, I straight up insulted a guy in Mandarin and at least got a warning. Do you know if the mod(s) who banned you the first few times are still mods over at TVT?
  • Hoho, I know who the one who intends to murder political opponents and the one who fantasies with fictional characters as guardians are. One of the unwritten rules is that you don't talk about the later one or mention that, umm, lifestyle.

But yeah, it sounds like a few explanations would've gone a long way.
  • Glaives are better.
    Bob, it was Fast Eddie who banned me. Which is why I didn't make a public fuss.
  • Oh. Shit. Tough tits, then.
  • Glaives are better.
    Yep.
  • " I commented in a topic about
    domestic abuse saying that I couldn't stand to watch any media with
    scenes of rape or violence against women, I was stealthily edit banned
    for "misogyny," which even the mods I contacted couldn't figure out. "

This is the point where you have to realize someone has it in for you. Nothing you say is safe.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Perhaps they meant misandry?
  • Even that doesn't make sense. That action can only be seen as an attempt to get rid of Hatter. What he said was just a pretext.
  • "fictional characters coming to life and serving as their guardians."

I think anyone would want that to happen if it could.

Well unless "guardian" is referring to the...caretaker...parent-like...thingy, but plenty of people would probably want one of those too.
  • Glaives are better.
    There's a difference between "wanting" it and "fervently believing that it will happen," though. The former is just idle fantasy. The latter is frightening.
  • edited 2011-04-27 08:08:42
    Tableflipper
    Well you said "fantasies of" anyway instead of "actually believe it will happen" (though from the start I knew who you were talking about...)

With that said though plenty of people believe things that is frightening in that sense, it's just that it's more socially acceptable.
  • Glaives are better.
    Ed, the question was "Tropers who scare you," and anyone fantasizing about murder in that way is ill. Even though I find the people he hates disgusting, murder is never justifiable.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Last one I'd have given you a warning for, others I don't think I'd have done anything about, though I'd have to see the posts themselves before I could make a definite statement either way.  But then, I am apparently "gentle" (read: soft), so what do I know?
  • Glaives are better.
    Actually, a mod did send me a heads-up post for the last one, saying he was giving me a warning but saying that Eddie might ban me anyway. He was right.

I don't have records of the noteworthy threads, but here's where Eddie permabanned me the first time.
  • Didn't you used to go into the Fetishes thread?

How the fuck are you so easily convinced that fantasy of that sort of murder is a sign they are ill?
  • Glaives are better.
    Ed, it's only if it's a constant topic they bring up that I get worried about their mental state. This guy always found a way to turn the conversation into a talk about what he wanted to do to the WBC. It was creepy and disturbing.

Plus, I don't judge people by their fetishes, unless said fetishes harm other people in a way that threatens their lives (like bug chasers, or snuff fetishists).
  • edited 2011-04-27 09:00:08
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    "I commented in a topic about  domestic abuse saying that I couldn't stand to watch any media with scenes of rape or violence against women, I was stealthily edit banned  for "misogyny," which even the mods I contacted couldn't figure out. "

Not that I'm claiming this is a valid excuse or anything, but Hatter did specify women, not men and women.

Just sayin'. It's an extremely stupid reason, but if they meant misandry, it's not completely based on false logic.
  • Glaives are better.
    I suppose it may have been that. Only a hardcore radical feminist would ban me for something like that, though.
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
    @ OP

Your banning seems similar to how Some Guy got banned.

This may not bring you any comfort but I've posting around various forums for over 10 years and I find if the admins or mods don't like any particular a poster just because they don't like him/her not because they're a problem poster.  They'll find a way to ban them even if it means bending the rules a bit or making up some half-assed reason.
    No, Some Guy actually could be kind of a pain in the ass because he would make unilateral decisions regarding things that actually affected the wiki.

I don't think any of the TV Tropes mods are radfems.
  • "This guy again? Take a hint, dude."

It reminds me of a company I used to work for, when I was rated as "less effective" they gave me a test to stay on, a when I passed they said there'd been a mistake and gave me a second one. The reality is, I'm about 90% sure I'd made a manager look bad, and HR had been told to place me on the "look, just get rid of this guy" list. I suspect what happened to you might be FE doesn't look kindly to people who get reported a lot, even if none of the reportings are justified, it still makes more work, and I suspect FE doesn't enjoy being a forum mod, he wants to run the site, not deal with individuals.

I suspect he came to realize this himself when he got rid of IJBM I - He mentioned somewhere part of the reason he wanted IJBM gone was to avoid having to do a purge of users.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    "I suppose it may have been that. Only a hardcore radical feminist would ban me for something like that, though."

Seems about that ridiculous to me, too.
  • Glaives are better.
    I think this could be explained as a case of AB, or Admin Burnout. I've seen it happen before.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    I've never been banned.

/gloating
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I have been banned, and came back.

/outanonyming
    I was expecting to be banned and I got made a mod instead.

Beat that.
  • Inside, too dark to read
    It's an illusion to think that any internet forum has consistent rules in a formal sense.

The only reliable rule is that there's someone who owns the server, and if he doesn't like your face, you'll get banned.

The nicer ones give temp bans, so you get a second chance to be obedient.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I was banned from accessing the site. TWICE! And keep coming back. I am unkillable!
  • edited 2011-04-27 13:24:47
    I can get Google banned and unbanned at will, with no mod intervention.

Edit: Now it's a regular can't-see ban.