If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Climate change hyperbole

edited 2011-04-26 20:14:15 in Meatspace
~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
Somehow, someway, an issue that should be tame is almost always subject to extremes.

Why, just why? Conservatives get ticked off and often claim that NOTHING is happening (because apparently, 6 billion people magically have no effect on anything), while environmentalists are more like fundamentalists.

Why is this so hard?

I honestly don't understand why.

Comments

• What should be a scientific issue gets twisted into a political issue because people have vested interests involved in dealing with the consequences of environmental change.
  • I like turtles.
    Six billion people is still peanuts compared to the planet's climate.
  • edited 2011-04-26 20:15:24
    Because you never know what you might see.
    I don't see many environmentalists acting like fundamentalists.  Well, maybe on the nuclear power issue, but not on climate change.

^ Which is precisely why climate change is a cause for concern.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-04-26 20:15:40
    Because humans are naturally prone to using dubious techniques such as hyperbole to both convince others that they're right and justify their actions.

Also, not to be rude, but this should probably be merged with the other thread (or be broadened to include "hyperbole" or perhaps "political / social / scientific issue hyperbole").
  • edited 2011-04-26 20:19:36
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Because most people will only hear you IF YOU YELL LOUD ENOUGH.
  • edited 2011-04-26 20:19:58
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    ^^It's different enough.

^Unless that makes them cover their ears...
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > Six billion people is still peanuts compared to the planet's climate.

See, here's the funny thing.  I know I definitely care about us six billion (and counting!) people, but the planet climate doesn't.  And that's actually where the problem lies.

> I don't see many environmentalists acting like fundamentalists.  Well,
    maybe on the nuclear power issue, but not on climate change.

I get really annoyed by climate change activists being so damn pissy about nuclear power.
  • I recommend murdering them.  They're hippies, no one will miss them.

Do you count people that believe Day After Tomorrow as a realistic depiction of climate change as hyperbole?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^ I don't count people as hyperbole since only messages and thoughts can be hyperbole.

That said, I wouldn't murder them; they're useful for getting votes.
  • Anyone who believes in Day After Tomorrow is an idiot.  That being said, while six billion humans may not be that big a deal, I'm pretty sure all the machines and factories and crap we have cause us to have a much bigger effect on the environment than any other species.  But screw it, I'm not a scientist.
  • But everyone knows murder is the best solution!