If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Jokes Only Nerds Get

edited 2011-04-18 17:16:18 in IJBM meta
When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
1. Heisenberg and his wife were zooming down the highway in their BMW. They were then pulled over by a cop. The cop asked how fast they were going. Heisenberg said, "exactly 83 miles per hour." Too which his wife replied, "You idiot! Now we're lost!"

2. Schrödinger walked into a pet shop carrying a box. He complained to the manager, "I want my money back for this cat! When I opened this box, I found out it was dead!"

3. A girl I know, Helena, recently broke up with her boyfriend. To cheer her up, I tried setting her up with dates. Frank and Nick turned out to be poisonous to her health. However, with the help of Nancy and Clarissa, we were able to get her a new boyfriend: Oliver! Their relationship is neither too basic nor too acidic, so they get along perfectly. They even managed to neutralize some other people I know, like Barry. 

Comments

• Shit, I only got the second one.
  • edited 2011-04-18 17:27:33

The third one is so awkwardly worded it's not even funny.

First one can be explained by Wikipedia. Chances are if you're in high school and don't have a keen interest in physics, you wouldn't have learned it.

• Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Number 3's a chemistry joke, right? Or something to do with acids and bases?

And I don't get that first one either.

Basically, The only one I get is the one everyone gets: Schrodinger's cat.

You fool! You only provide jokes Nerds get! Why couldn't this be about jokes only geeks would get?
  • OH. Now I get the first one, my dad told me about the Uncertainty Principle back when I was in like sixth grade.

It's the one where you can determine either a particle's speed and position perfectly, but you can never accurately determine both at the same time, right? I read about that once.

• edited 2011-04-18 17:39:38
    Ha! I get all three!

Variation on #1: An electron was speeding when an officer makes it stop, says it was going at exactly 85 km/h, the electron then says "but you can't know I was where that's over the limit."
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Yeah, I have a problem with wording for the third one.

Helena is hydrogen. When H bonds with Frank (F), you get hydrogen fluoride, a corrosive acid. Similarly, combining H with Nick (N, technically NO3) yields nitric acid, a poisonous chemical. However, H and Oliver (O) make, obviously, H2O, which is neither acidic nor basic and neutralizes many acids and bases (such as Barry/Ba(OH)2). 
  • edited 2011-04-18 17:42:37
    Helena should be called something that doesn't start with "He".

That's royalty name, amirite?
    I actually know somebody named Helena. And she dated a Nick. So it just popped into my mind. 

I could've named her Hannah, but then again I could never figure out how to pluralize her name, so I avoided her.

Okay, nobody will get that one. 
  • edited 2011-04-18 17:52:31
    No rainbow star
    I got all three first try :D

^ That was a joke?
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Got the first two immediately.  Third one had me stumped, but I never liked chemistry much.
  • a little muffled
    First one took me a sec because I can never remember exactly how the uncertainty principle works. Second I got instantly, of course. Third I quickly realized was based on element symbols, but the specifics of it I didn't get.
  • edited 2011-04-18 18:22:56
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    ^^^ Hannah Arendt was a famed German political philosopher who mused that "men, not Man, live on the earth and inhabit the world."

So an electron walks into a bar. He stops in his tracks when he sees that the bartender is busy reading "The Tao Tau of Pooh", and thusly, whispers: "...g-grandson?"
  • a little muffled
    Now that one I don't get at all.
  • edited 2011-04-18 18:41:58
    Me neither, and reading wikipedia isn't helping, but hey, at least I learned something.

but the specifics of it I didn't get.

Beats getting some of them wrong, like I did.

Another one you've all probably heard by now: An atom tells another atom "I've lost one of my electrons", "are you sure?", "I'm positive."
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    I got the first two, the last one stumped me though.
  • Got the first two, missed the third one until the end, then I got the acids/bases thing.

Heisenberg uncertainty principle: you can't know where something is and how fast it's going at the same time.
    In the lepton family of particles, electrons are considered the first generation and tau are among the third generation. 
  • No rainbow star
    I want to see how many jokes I manage to miss before you exhaust your joke supply :D
    Why was the old lady so upset that her joules were stolen?

Because her radiance decreased. 
  • No rainbow star
    ^ I think I get that one. Energy can be emitted - or radiate - off of an electron
    Close, but no cigar. Joules are the unit of measurement for radiant energy/electromagnetic waves. 
  • Helena threw me off because of the He start.
  • I was expecting something about being worked out.
    Okay, this one's more "only tropers will get it."

Why does your face remind me of a lengthy joke?

Because your face makes me want to take an overly long gag. 
  • Joules are energy in general.  Most people are more familiar with kWh though.