If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I wish the avatars could be a little bigger

edited 2011-04-17 21:16:01 in IJBM meta
Has friends besides tanks now
I went through a bunch of great profile picture possibilities (made easier now that I have new waifus (don't look at me like that, I'm only being (mostly (whoo parenthesis stacking!)) facetious. >_>)), but I kept getting bugged at the fact that the quality becomes so much worse, even after cropping, due to shrinkage. I'll settle for the one I have now, but the fuzziness was a little irritating. I can barely tell that she's smiling. I also get that the format of this forum wouldn't really lend itself to larger avatars as well, but it's still annoying to a small degree.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Fun fact: For one of my Teana Lanster avatars on the other forum, I actually darkened the mouth-line so that it shows up more in the shrunken version.
  • edited 2011-04-17 21:32:05
    Actually, the quality also becomes much worse because they reencode your avatar as a (pretty low-quality) .jpg when they shrink it.  The avatars display at 40x40 px, but they're actually stored at 50x50 px, so I was going to write a CSS stylesheet to make them display at 50x50 px, but... it's not worth it, due to how compressed they are...

And, after testing it briefly... it seems they even re-encode it if it's already small enough (filesize and dimensions...)
    @funnyguts: I don't know who Shuu is, but I think it looks fine as is.
  • edited 2011-04-17 21:44:35
    I wonder if there's any way you can make it so that avatars aren't automatically re-saved as .jpg's...

I mean, even if they were .bmp files they'd only take up less than 8KB each (since they'd still get resized to 50x50 pixels, I assume), and they'd look a lot better.  (not that I'd want them as .bmp files... but that's pretty much the largest filesize they could possibly have, is all)
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭

Liek this?
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Liek dat. 
  • edited 2011-04-17 21:50:04
    I don't know if they need to be quite that large. With the relatively minimalistic design of the site, an avatar that large would kind of overshadow the post.

I would support seeing them as 50-by-50, though, since that's apparently how they're stored anyway.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^^^ Exactly liek dat.
  • I would support seeing them as 50-by-50, though, since that's apparently how they're stored anyway.

I... wouldn't, actually.

Having them be resized hides some of the JPEG artifacts. Which is desperately needed since most people already are using .jpg avatars, which then get re-encoded twice, as not-very-high-quality .jpg's both times...
  • Well, I was also assuming that whichever admin we pester to give us bigger avatars would also apply less-shitty compression. I meant to say that in my post, but left it out.
  • edited 2011-04-17 22:04:08
    Ah, okay then yeah.

Ideally, the avatar that's displayed on the profile page would just be the original image that was uploaded, and the cropped, resized version that shows up near our posts should be stored as a .png.

But I dunno if Vanilla lets you control things like that easily (probably not).
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    All it is, is a 100x100 resize. Apparently we only have...like....20x20 or 24x24 or something.

I wouldn't mind having a little more Avatar expansion. Even if we could have Titles under it that would be nice.
    These are both default functions.  I'll ask UE if he'd like to work on this.
  • ^^ I MAED A MOCKUP:

Something like that would be nice.  I mean, there's already a bunch of empty space under our usernames.  And if we have slightly bigger avatars, then that's an extra 10px of vertical space.  Might as well fill it.

Though, of course, this is not something I'd actually expect to be done, I just felt like making a mockup...
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ That looks really nice, actually. Do want.
  • edited 2011-04-17 22:31:21
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Agreed, with much FIERY PASSION!
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    And now I want the avatars to be bigger so everyone can read the text neath my pic.

(It's antidisestablishmentarianism, duh.)
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    I never would have guessed.
  • edited 2011-04-17 22:35:14
    ^^ I can read it on your profile page, silly.
    Sounds like the avatar size thing might be an easy change.  Adding a title might be more difficult.
  • edited 2011-04-17 23:05:16
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭

• edited 2011-04-17 23:08:28
    The word "demo" makes me think it's an abbreviation for "Dead Monster." At least when it comes at the end of a name.  Because of AngelBeats!, even though I haven't watched that show since it aired like a year ago.  And also even though "demo" is a completely normal English word...
  • Well, it looks like that's done, huh?

Thanks, Unknown Entity! :D
  • The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm
    After a bit of hunting, I managed to edit the code to use the 75x75 images the board generates on it's own.  How's that look? (For the record, some core CSS was forcing them to 40x40, even though the images were 50x50)
  • edited 2011-04-17 23:46:39
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Look! My avatar is still tiny!

I'M AH HIPSTEEEEEEEEER!
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    HIPSTER HIPSTER HIPSTER!
  • Everything is still very JPEGgy, though...

Still, this is a pretty big improvement, so I won't complain.

Though... we can't crop our avatars using the croppy thing here anymore.

That's not too bad though since we can just crop them manually.
  • «Everything is still very JPEGgy, though...»

The fact that avatar images get converted to JPEGs annoys me.
  • edited 2011-04-17 23:52:09
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Test post for avatar.

I should use my 100x100 instead.