If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Nice Guy

edited 2011-01-15 13:58:35 in Media
Cue-bey

Comments

• Oh wow.

I thought this was gonna be the same complaint we have every week but this is different.

This is actually a jillion times worse.

Dear God.
  • a little muffled
    It didn't seem too bad until I got to this one.
  • edited 2011-01-15 14:22:00
    Internet is like mindreading, freaks me out

Also the art stinks
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Seen this before.  It'd actually make a pretty decent parody of the attitude if it wasn't sincere.
  • a little muffled
    I can't even tell what the joke in this one is supposed to be.

Someone needs to liveblog this shit.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    The joke is that black haired guy is a drooling idiot, and our heroic Nice Guy bravely condemns his disgusting, lascivious ways.
  • That kinda contrasts with the poster the comic's artist drew on the dude's wall. Hypocrite.
  • Tomb Raider has a girl with big boobs running around doing actiony stuff.

Now somebody added a nude model to the game, so now it's mindblowingly amazing.
  • Come to think of it, how did he know the mod existed?
  • a little muffled
    @Trash_Vortex: It's not exactly uncommon knowledge...
  • Protagonist Centered Morality?
  • edited 2011-01-15 18:01:32
    Loser
    I only read a few of those comics, so I cannot really claim to be an expert on them. However, the whole "nice guy" thing does bother me. I think I can understand being especially annoyed about other people treating their girlfriends/boyfriends poorly when one is single, but ultimately I do not believe that anyone should feel entitled to someone's love.

Also, I feel like "nice guys" should show their niceness through actual actions. I think that if people actually are "nice" and yet keep being passed over for other people, they might want to start looking somewhere else for a girlfriend/boyfriend. Of course, I do not really have much expertise here.

Anyway, I think I remember someone linking to this comic on TV Tropes a while ago as well. I did not like it then and I agree with Trash_Vortex about the art too at least I cannot say I like it very much.
  • edited 2011-01-15 20:06:20
    I was going to defend the art by saying that the guy is probably more confident with his writing but then I saw it's a separate artist....

Denied is kind of funny though.
  • edited 2011-01-19 19:33:09
    "It'd actually make a pretty decent parody of the attitude if it wasn't sincere."

...you mean this isn't a parody?
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    This pisses me off for two reasons.

• Whoever's making this comic is actually being sincere, and being very weird in the process.
    • This just gives more ammunition to the people who insist girls love assholes.
  • edited 2011-01-19 19:54:12
    Because you never know what you might see.

"You're such a nice guy!"

"I wish I could meet a guy like you."

"You're so sweet to listen to all my problems!"

"You're such a good friend!"

(Cue announcer voice)

Has THIS ever happened to you?

Are you the kind of guy that women see as non-threatening, a good listener...NOT someone to be romantically interested in?

Do you have that female friend that you're hopelessly in love with that unloads all her problems on you, only to end up back in the sack with that loser ex that cheated on her with her own sister, leaving you high and dry?

Do you let people merge into traffic in front of you, only to find them cutting you off three exits up and forcing you onto the wrong freeway?

Do you agree to housesit for your friends and take care of their vicious Stephen King dogs while they spend a week in the islands...even though you had floor seats for a playoff game that you're going to miss?

Let's face it, friend. YOU are a nice guy.

God bless you. And God help you.

One day back in the mid-90s somewhere, yours truly (Michael O'Connell) and best-friend-since-fifth-grade and then roommate Tim Watts were sitting around the house they shared with their pal Rich, talking about this very concept. Both were annoyingly single, having both just gotten out of long term relationships. Both were lamenting, as sad single men do, about how all the jerks out there seemed to be hooked up, while the nice guy--the stalwart, the do-gooder, the all-around good Joe--couldn't seem to find true love (or any love, for that matter). It was your standard can't-get-a-date bitch session. But from that conversation, an idea formed.

See, your heroes here happened to be a writer and an artist.

The idea for the Nice Guy came from that night, a comic (book or strip) about your typical nice guy that most of us can relate all too well to. Taking "nice guy" moments from our own lives, we started brainstorming, and the idea grew, and spawned a group of characters. And we got right to work on the project, and had high hopes for it.

• "This just gives more ammunition to the people who insist girls love assholes."

Cough Scrye cough
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    Khwar: I read that entire thing in a William Shatner voice.

DEAR GOD.

IT ALL MAKES SO MUCH SENSE.
  • "Do you agree to housesit for your friends and take care of their vicious Stephen King dogs while they spend a week in the islands...even though you had floor seats for a playoff game that you're going to miss?"

Jesus Christmas, how hard is it to say "Sorry dude, I've got these tickets. Try someone else."
  • edited 2011-01-19 21:38:58
    Loser

Khwarizmi,

Are you the kind of guy that women see as non-threatening, a good listener...NOT someone to be romantically interested in?

Do
    you have that female friend that you're hopelessly in love with that
    unloads all her problems on you, only to end up back in the sack with
    that loser ex that cheated on her with her own sister, leaving you high
    and dry?

I could be wrong here, but that sounds like a bit of a contradiction to me.

Also, I agree with Gelzo a bit. I think that if you are going to do something nice for someone you should not be annoyed about it. I thought the idea was that you were doing something just to be nice. Complaining about doing something like that does not make much sense to me.
  • My favourite one is the one where he decides not to take advantage of a drunk woman and then expects cosmic payback in his favour.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    The art style sucks.
  • Not exactly my favorite, but I've seen worse.
  • He can't draw men and he really can't draw women.

And I'm looking at half the stuff the "nice" guy says or thinks and I'm thinking to myself "I'm nicer than that!" I dunno, I'm not mean or anything, and I'm sure you can be a nice enough guy and still be less nice than me, but.......It's as if Aquaman's superpower was being able to talk to fish slightly worse than Spiderman. Come on.
  • ...We're supposed to sympathize with the woman, right?
  • No, he's being silly.
  • I was commenting on how the man looks like a jackass for ignoring the woman as soon as he finds out he can't jump her bones.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Why do I feel like the men act like jackassive idiots while the women act like idiotic jackasses?