If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM: That, As Far As The Fanbase Is Concerned, I Can't Like Both Sonic Renditions

edited 2011-04-17 12:32:54 in Media
The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
First things first, spare me your "Before I even clicked on the thread title..." posts; they are just as predictable as the OP's of certain topics. Bear with me here, people, this is the first serious IJBM thread that I've actually made here. In fact, this has bugging me for quite a while, while was only magnified with the release of the trailer for the new Sonic game. Reading through the comments section on this page (a poor decision, perhaps, but bear with me here) was pretty much the "last straw" of sorts. Alrighty, let's just get to the thesis of this thread: it just plain bugs me that apparently, as far as the fanbase is concerned, I'm "not allowed" to hold both renditions of Sonic the Hedgehog in equal regard.

Going through various gaming sites throughout the years (some pertaining to gaming news in general, others pertaining to the Sonic series specifically), I've come across this weird bit of observation in most of them:

If I said that I like the "classic" rendition of Sonic, I would get labeled as an asshole-ish "retrofag". You know, the sort of person who just can't seem to enjoy any of the new titles, regardless of how good they actually are. That particular kind of guy who hates other fans for actually liking the new titles. The type of neophobe who would only be happy if the series just stayed with how the "classic" series worked.

However, if I said that I like the "contemporary" rendition of Sonic as well, I would get labeled as an idiotic sycophant. You know the type; the childish ignoramus who would buy anything pertaining to a certain label, regardless of its actual quality. The types who would defend games like, say, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 and say that they're better than games like Super Mario Galaxy without a shred of irony (whatever that means nowadays).

One could say that this sort of thing shouldn't bug me so much, and they'd be right to some extent. Still, this sort of cartoonish exaggeration has always rubbed me the wrong way. I mean, I like both "renditions" equally. Heck, look at my current avatar if you don't believe me, or don't, I wouldn't blame ya. I could just chalk this up as being yet another example of the broken fanbase's unpleasability. However, that would, again, implicitly label me as a person who can't be pleased with anything, which couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe I'm just something of a bleedin' heart...

At this point, I'm probably just venting like an underwater volcano, but I had to get this out somehow. Since this is the perfect site for it, I figured I could vent it in a way that could hopefully spark some actual discussion. So... yeah.

TL;DR: See thread title.

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    So?
  • Leave it to video game fandoms to put undue weight on things no normal person would give a shit about, or at least not to that degree.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Okay now that my karma code is out of the way...

When it comes to trying to identify negative fans they are usually all grouped into one bunch, and use that stereotype to try and "predict" the attitude of the person in question, depending on how they like the game or work.

Each fandom/hatedom has different stereotypes and groups, and mostly everyone who does not want their opinion to be opposed will categorize people who don't fit their similar style into a group of certain players, usually in a negative sense.
  • Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    Just remember that members of any fanbase--including Sonic's--are wide and varied. The people who insult those who love the classic design, are not the same people who insult those who love the modern design, and there are a good many Sonic fans who care very little about the designs in general.
  • edited 2011-04-17 13:22:25
    I need a video for "The one person I thought would not be the OP (because it seemed too obvious) turned out to be the OP anyway, thus disqualifiying me from an rCJMYgPbaJk embed, which sucks."

I'll have my staff get right on it.
  • No rainbow star
    Personally, the 3D classic Sonic creeps me out a little... Of course, I'm just not used to it

Anyways, the problem here is Fandumb. You get the same problem in almost any long lived series
  • Fanbases aren't homogeneous, it is to be expected that different people like something for different reasons. So you really aren't facing an unpleasable fanbase (seriously, does anything like this actually exist?), but rather two different subsets of it.
  • edited 2011-04-17 13:55:06
    I could just chalk this up as being yet another example of the broken
    fanbase's unpleasability. However, that would, again, implicitly label
    me as a person who can't be pleased with anything

I'm not seeing how this follows, but yeah, from an outsider's perspective it's just another broken fanbase RAEGing, don't let it get to you.

Edit: ^ I think he knows that. The problem is that the different people who like something for different reasons can't accept it. That's what all of this comes to.
  • No rainbow star
    Noimporta: Isn't a fanbase that has subsets due to not agreeing the definition of a broken, unpleasable fanbase?
  • But that is true to every fanbase bigger than 20 people, making it a very silly label.
  • No rainbow star
    Ok, maybe I should say, "Can't get along due to not agreeing and having constant flamewars over it"
  • You do realize that when one part of the fandom slams you for liking the classic games, and the other part slams you for liking the recent games, those aren't the same people talking, right?

• Yes, Don Zabu, it's been pretty clearly established by now.
  • I don't see why they would need to be the same people for his complaint to make sense.

It's not like he's saying "IJBM: Sonic fans can't make up their hivemind about which character design for Sonic is better."  More like, he's complaining that there is a large segment of the fanbase that vocally hates one, and an equally large segment of the fanbase vocally hates the other.
  • Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    For a while, some of us were hoping that SEGA would branch into two directions: a direction for classic Sonic fans who miss the 2D goodness, and a direction for the other guys who like... I don't know, giant monsters and voiceacting and stuff?
    The reality of Sonic 4: Episode 1 showed us that was not going to happen.
  • Oh, alright. I've just noticed a kind of pattern where people characterize large groups of people as a single person, whether explicitly or implicitly, as if to make painting them as schizophrenic hypocrites easier or something.
  • edited 2011-04-17 19:43:19
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Oh, that happens to all fanbases.

Komodin just happens to be in one of the biggest and worst.

And I like both Sonics, although I prefer Colors Sonic over 06 Sonic. 

^^Much of the fanbase reacted favorably to Sonic Colors, which is actually ironic (yay I used it correctly!) in that they'ver been a-hatin' on THREEDEE Sonic ever since Shadow, possibly even Heroes, and have been clamoring for a return to Sonic's 2D roots. And now they like the 3D Sonic game more than the 2D Sonic game. 
  • They call me Rate Miser, whatever I see... turns overrated in my eyes...

^ Much of the fanbase reacted favorably to Sonic Colors, which is actually ironic (yay I used it correctly!) in that they'ver been a-hatin' on THREEDEE Sonic ever since Shadow, possibly even Heroes, and have been clamoring for a return to Sonic's 2D roots. And now they like the 3D Sonic game more than the 2D Sonic game.

That's what I call Secret of Evermore Syndrome. When Secret of Evermore came out, people were complaining about the lack of music in the game. But today, people rejoiced when a game uses ambient sounds and/or music for much of the game, like Shadow of the Colossus. I don't know if both groups are the same people, but yeah.

Finally, Internet Explorer freezes when I click on Show Source, so I can't quote via html.

• Said it once, I'll say it again: Sonic 4 was a desperation move, whereas Sonic Colors seemed to be made from genuine inspiration.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    ^

THIS.
  • Before I even clicked on the thread title...
  • edited 2011-04-18 00:16:47
    Master Guardian of the Passive Voice

^^^ and ^^^^^ Agreed.

Sonic 4: Retro Sonic fans wanted a return to Genesis style Sonic gameplay. SEGA gave them gameplay like Sonic Rush, with levels/enemies/bosses recycled from the Genesis games, on an overpriced downloadable title.

Sonic Colours: Modern Sonic fans wanted something like Sonic Unleashed, only without the Werehog. SEGA gave them Sonic Unleashed gameplay without the Werehog. Added in the elemental shields from Sonic 3, only calling them Wisps this time around. Original levels. No swords or guns or beastiality. BAM. Was it really that hard? :-)

• edited 2011-04-18 13:54:16
    The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    It's not like he's saying "IJBM: Sonic fans can't make up their hivemind about which character design for Sonic is better."  More like, he's complaining that there is a large segment of the fanbase that vocally hates one, and an equally large segment of the fanbase vocally hates the other.

This is pretty much the entirety of my complaint in a nutshell. In fact, my beef is just with fandom civil wars in general. I mean - adhering to the context of this thread - Classic and Modern Sonic can get along just fine; why can't we at least tolerate each other without resorting to this whole Us vs. Them nonsense? I mean, damn, we're all Sonic fans; why can't we all just get along?
  • edited 2011-04-18 14:07:15

Because the failures of the 3D era, which related to the misuse of non-Sonic characters, resulted in a backlash against extra characters to the extent that SEGA no longer finds it necessary to include playable Tails, Knuckles, and/or Amy in its 2D titles. (But that's just me. And I'm joking; I don't have hate for 3D green eyed Sonic. Just... regret.)

EDIT: And homing attack. And the death of pinball physics in Sonic gameplay. See, it's not about the green eyes looking uglier than the black eyes or anything... it's about SEGA being unable to reproduce a classic-style game again. That's what the Sonic 4: Episode 1 cacophony was all about. The one game that was meant to appeal to us retrofags, and they couldn't come anywhere close. But ah well. :-)

• The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    ^ And what does that have to do with my comment?
  • edited 2011-04-18 14:46:05

"Classic and Modern Sonic can get along just fine; why can't we at least tolerate each other without resorting to this whole Us vs. Them nonsense?"

It's just that when SEGA panders to one side of the fanbase too heavily, it creates problems with the other side. As much popularity as Sonic Colours enjoyed, it did get disappointment from some of the fans who actually did enjoy varied gameplay and figures like Shadow, for example. For as much criticism as Sonic 4 received, a lot of the modern fans loved the take on it, and they wish the oldschool fans would be quiet. SEGA doesn't do well juggling the different branches of its fanbase, so when it appeals to one, it often alienates the other. The "Us vs. Them" mentality creates itself.

• edited 2011-04-21 02:12:11
    Since this thread has ran its course, I wanted to add that I knew who started this thread before I even clicked on it.