If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Azu-Meow" (or: Yen Press's translation of the K-On! manga is terrible)

edited 2011-04-17 02:36:30 in Media
Way to screw up the pun and make it sound completely stupid, Yen Press.

And I'm pretty sure everyone who reads manga knows what "-chan" and "nyan" mean (plus, they already use "-chan" elsewhere in this translation), so it's not like they have to worry that people wouldn't understand it...

Of course, Yen Press's translation of K-On! is crap all around, but this was just silly...

Anyway, this bugs me because Yen Press expects me to pay for something that's worse than the average scanlation...

Comments

• edited 2011-04-17 02:36:57
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Solution: don't buy it and hope they get fewer licenses in the future.
  • edited 2011-04-17 02:38:50
    Yeah, that's what I'm going to do, I guess.

I was able to tolerate it for the first volume, but after the second volume's shittiness I think I'll just import the Japanese ones.  And while I'm at it, I'll avoid buying new volumes of Soul Eater even though their translation of that isn't as bad, since I don't like Soul Eater much anyway...
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I tried to watch Soul Eater because people kept telling me it was good. I honestly couldn't make it through the first episode. Same for the manga.
  • The manga seems... not completely terrible, but definitely not something I really want to keep spending money on.  I bought the first 3 volumes, and it hasn't terribly impressed me, so I suspect it won't get much better in the future.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Higurashi's manga is awesome. Mostly because they did not rely on things that would be lost on translation.

Except for Onigafuchi.
  • edited 2011-04-17 03:15:40
    It's not even that the K-On! manga relies on things that would be lost in translation.  I've read a scanlation of the manga, and watched a few different fansubs of the anime (which uses a lot of the same jokes, of course) and for the most part, the jokes actually work when translated into English... except when Yen Press translates them.

On the plus side, I also recently got the Dark Horse translation of the first volume of Cardcaptor Sakura, and the translation of that was really good.  So... in the future I will be purchasing a lot more manga by Dark Horse, and none by Yen Press.

Also, after looking at Dark Horse's website to see what other things they have... OH MY GOD I WANT THIS SO MUCH!  My favorite fairy tale illustrated by one of my favorite manga(-style) artists?  YES PLZ.

But... SO EXPENSIVE!  $17 for 32 pages...
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    ""Azu-Meow" (or: K-On! is terrible)"

Fixed.

Actually, I don't think that, but a lot of people here seem to do and I wanted to beat them to it. Just because.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Azusa is a shit character. The show would be more bearable without her and Yui
  • >One joke is mistranslated

>Entire company is shit

I will never understand weaboo RAEG. Ever.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ You seem to have missed a few things. The poor translation of a joke was just the breaking point.
  • Like that matters. K-On! is a shit manga anyway. The anime is better, but K-on! is just shit, Kyo-Ani just managed to make a good anime out of it.
  • a little muffled
    "Azu-Meow" sounds a lot better than "Miss Stake" from their Yotsuba&! translation. >_> (Though I'm mostly fine with that translation otherwise.) I think we should make it illegal for Yen Press to attempt woolseyisms since they're clearly incapable of doin it right.
    We should send them an email.
  • >One joke is mistranslated

>Entire company is shit

I will never understand weaboo RAEG. Ever.

No, the problem is that nearly every joke is mistranslated, to the point where the only reason I even know some jokes are there is because I've seen better translations before.

K-On! is a shit manga anyway.

Not really. It's not amazing, and certainly not as good as the anime, but I still think it's pretty good.

I think we should make it illegal for Yen Press to attempt woolseyisms since they're clearly incapable of doin it right.

Yeah, that sounds about right.
  • I think we should ban anime.
  • edited 2011-04-17 15:10:36
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
  • I liked Vorpy better when she didn't try to be edgy by hating everything.
  • edited 2011-04-17 15:13:21
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Nah, I am simply a Deconstruction the Edgy Hater personality archetype.
    Actually yeah I think if nobody opposes a Personality Swap I could revert to a Previous Version if that would be acceptable.
  • "Nah, I am simply a Deconstruction the Edgy Hater personality archetype."

Well played dear madam. Well played.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.
    More a Shallow Parody.