If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Gaston flips through Belle's book and says it has no pictures...

edited 2011-04-17 01:15:03 in Media
...when not 3 minutes earlier, when Belle was singing about the book ("Heeere's where she meets Prince Charming!"), we saw a close-up of a full-color illustration.

Also JBM: I didn't notice this until I went to get a screencap of Belle with her book to use as a TVTropes avatar.

Comments

• edited 2011-04-17 01:16:19
    Translation convention + viewers are illiterate = text in book "translated" into pictures for our benefit.

Or just they weren't paying attention/didn't care.
  • wouldn't it have been easier to just not show the book
  • This bugged me from the very first moment I saw it.

I can also remember pointing out all the logical inconsistencies in Recess in my youth, too.

• Well, it was most likely just that they didn't notice or didn't think it was important.

Or that the animation director didn't read the script.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Kids Next Door has logical inconsistencies.
  • Children of the Living Dead has more inconsistencies.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Tom and Jerry had more inconsistencies than that.
  • edited 2011-04-17 01:22:37
    I doubt it
  • Central, on the DVD commentary, they say they were making a reference to him looking for a centerfold, but I do understand your frustration with that inconsistency :)
  • Light and Dark: The Adventures of Dark Yagami has more inconsistencies.
  • edited 2011-04-17 01:29:29
    Now I'm wondering about the animation process: is it possible that whoever was in charge of animating the "Belle" musical number didn't bother to read the storyboard/script/whatever for the next scene? Or did they just decide to to do it that way anyway and hope that the little girls and the 20-year-olds who like to pretend they're little girls wouldn't notice?

^^ Hmm, maybe I should track down a copy of the DVD and listen to the commentary.
  • edited 2011-04-17 01:34:46
    I'd assume that directors of all sorts would probably have to read the whole script (at least, if I made a movie, I'd probably want everyone involved to read the script first... but especially the directors, including animation directors), so what I said was mostly a joke.

Though it is possible that they either just didn't notice or didn't think the viewers would notice or just didn't think it mattered enough.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Ummm, isn't it possible that maybe only a few pages had pictures, and Gaston (since he was just flipping through the pages) happened to miss all of them?

I've seen real books where that is quite possible.
  • edited 2011-04-17 01:56:21
    I suppose.

I'd point out that Belle didn't correct him, but I guess "Some people use their imagination!" is a better line than "Look harder, dumbass!"
  • edited 2011-04-17 02:10:38

I think Belle was just trying to make a point, and whether there was actually a picture in the book was irrelevant.

Basically what ^ said.
  • edited 2011-04-17 02:11:27
    Battle Scowler
    Central: Yes. yes you should. Totally worth it. My parents bought me the combo pack for Christmas and I've watched the four versions more times than I can count. It's one of my all time favorite movies, you see.

Also, gags are gags, don't overthink them >:|
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Belle probably just didn't feel like arguing the point with him.
  • But overthinking things is fun!
  • Well, I know CA, but but but sometimes the stupidity can be fun too :D
  • Maybe Gaston is just really stupid.
  • Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    I always saw it as: Very Few Pictures + Gaston Only Checked Out A Few Pages
  • ...…...What in the name of fuck are you guys talking about?

• Disney's Beauty and the Beast
    ^^ Philistine! :-P
  • edited 2011-04-17 10:14:49
    Kichigai birthday!!
    >He hasn't seen Beauty and the Beast
    ^ Philistine! :-P
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I meant Chagen. And fine, if you want it so much...
  • Oh. I avoided and hated stuff like that (Disney and the like) when I was a kid in a misguided attempt to be "mature".
    ^ Some of the most mature takes on dealing with change, mortality, living one's life to the fullest, and accepting the inevitable oblivion of our future have come from the Toy Story series. But Beauty and the Beast is mainly Cursed With Awesome something about seeing beyond looks or something? Whatever, I enjoy it. :D
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Watch it now friend