If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

the hell happened to E.D.?

edited 2011-04-16 22:40:34 in General
no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
So, has anyone else gone to Encyclopedia Dramatica lately?

And found that, in place of the former site, is now some totally politically correct dull thing called "Oh Internet"?

What the hell happened?  Just, what the hell.

Comments

• edited 2011-04-16 22:43:50
    Because you never know what you might see.
    They ran out of funding, sadly.

Oh Internet does not impress me.  I don't see it catching on in the same way, but we'll see.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    So, they got bought out or something?
  • edited 2011-04-16 22:52:21
    Because you never know what you might see.
    Actually, I heard that the person who made ED is the same person who made this new site.

On TV Tropes, Tibetan Fox claimed the Australian government were partly responsible for ED getting taken down, though I don't know what they did.

Oh nevermind, here you go.  So it was "an inside job".

But worry not!

• edited 2011-04-16 22:52:31
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    It got better at least. The word "faggot" was mentioned 58,000+ times on that wiki, while "lulz" was only mentioned 12,000+ times. That place was getting flooded with unfunny name-calling bullshit than generally entertaining content. Nearly every page generally consisted of "This is a place for furries and faggots. This is what the furries and faggots do. This is why it's filled with furries and faggots. Insert funny images here."
    I'm glad there's an archive.

Yeah, E.D. was mostly just a cesspool of stupid, but they were also a
    good site for getting valuable alternative views and counterpoints. 
    They were like the internet's version of Penn and Teller:  Bullshit in
    that they would tell you exactly what was wrong with any ideology on
    Earth.  They're the only website I know of that attacked both Feminism
    AND Misogyny and made intelligent, compelling arguments for both sides.

I also always appreciated their down-to-earth style.  To be honest,
    whenever I needed to look up an ideology or term or factoid, I would
    usually check E.D. before Wikipedia, simply because E.D. usually
    explained it in layman's terms.

Sigh... if I may rant, this is one of the things I hate about the internet:  things change too much, too fast.  Don't like Hotmail's latest overhaul?  Too bad, either switch to a new e-mail provider or live with it.  There's nothing you can do.  At least in real life, if I want to drive a car from 1976 I can fucking drive a car from 1976, and I can and DO own a computer from 1998 that I DO use on a regular basis (for games that don't run on modern machines).  Damn it, the internet should cater to my ludditery!

One bad thing about the archived version:  their version of the TV Tropes article is the Ryal one, and not the much improved one that came later.
  • edited 2011-04-16 23:13:47
    :/

Fucking Ryal finally got his win then?

So after all of my tedious work on updating the page we have to keep HIS version of the page?
    I hope you have your version archived somewhere, Vorpy.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Nah, I am going to wait for ED to rise again, if not, hell with it. I will just make my own mediawiki clone and do whatever there.
  • edited 2011-04-16 23:55:57
    What's the point of making a SFW meme database when there's already two websites dedicated to just that? This seems like a desperate attempt to salvage ED.
    Because Crap ED is better than No ED for those savant few.
  • When I found out about ED closing, this was my reaction:

• ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BURN BURN I SAY!!!
    It was more like the FF6 fanfare for me.
  • Oh god someone turn him off, please.
  • No joke, I felt like Michael Bolton in Office Space after I heard the news; like a profound sense of peace had washed over me. I toasted to its demise.
  • But it's not dead. It's still there, just... different.
    It's like ED, if ED was a rape victim.
  • It might as well be.
  • ^^^ Trust me, when the transformation from ED to Oh Internet is that thorough, ED is dead.
    So it's a dead rape victim?
  • edited 2011-04-17 01:00:16

Yeah, and that's the most cheerful image I've been subjected to all night.

Also, you're reminding me of that scene in Fear and Loathing when Hunter suggests that they get that one Jesus freak chick Gonzo has befriended and have the cops pay to gang-rape her, while they hang pictures of Jesus on the walls.

I would totally fuck a dead rape victim if it was ED. All of the lulz to be had, having necrotic juices all over my fingers and tits, filling my mouth with decaying meat and chunky blood, OH GAWD.
    ED will never truly die; it's a demon formed from the souls of millions of sullied humans.

It's like legion, only less evil, and more trolling.
  • -doesn't understand all the hate for ED-
  • edited 2011-04-17 01:03:55
    ^^ more like "faggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurriesfaggotsfurries"

Plus the annoying pagestretching and repetitiveness.
  • edited 2011-04-17 01:06:06

^^ People like me hate it for what it was. People like Vorpy hate it for what it failed to be.

^^^ At least now, for the most part, 4chan stays on 4chan.

I kept trying to keep the old "Extremely Fucking Explicit Wikipedia" feel of ED there, but eventually when it became cool to post the word faggot everywhere, reference to cock-sucking constantly and point out the fact that furries are on the internet even though we already fucking know that, it became the core definition of nearly every ED page I contributed to and I eventually gave up. No drama, just "faggotsfurriesfaggotsfurries".
    [wmg]Encyclopedia Dramatica spammed the word "faggot" in the hope that it would lose its edge, to the benefit of homosexuals everywhere.[/wmg]