If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Death

edited 2011-04-15 18:58:53 in Meatspace
No rainbow star
I'm scared of death. I won't have to deal with my own mortality for a long time, yet I am still terrified of it Why? Well, sure, there may be an afterlife. But the more you learn about the universe, the more you go, "FFFFFI'LL CEASE TO BE WHEN I DIE!!!", at least in my case Just... The idea of there being a damn good chance of just ceasing to be is terrifying to me

Comments

• Because you never know what you might see.
    Yep.

Though you get used to the idea.  It doesn't really scare me anymore, though I'm obviously not looking forward to it.
    I'd only like reincarnation if I got to retain my memories.  Otherwise, I don't think I'd be "me" anymore, so it'd be more like I ceased to exist and some other tosser ran off with my soul.
  • edited 2011-04-15 19:27:59

I think Death is a pretty cool guy. Eh serves the master and doesn't afraid of Belmonts. (Sorry, I missed the opportunity to do that joke last time and I just had to let it out)

Anyway, back on topic, I'm inclined to believe in reincarnation simply because I cannot comprehend my essence simply being terminated forever. Though I am convinced a person's memories are not transferred.

• I like turtles.
    I don't fear death, but then I'm a crazy right-wing religious nut so probably not much help to anyone.

Although life sucks so one who holds to an atheistic standpoint could argue that death is just an end to all the suffering.
  • edited 2011-04-15 19:32:57
    Because you never know what you might see.
    It's an end to the suffering, but it's also an end to everything that's wonderful and awesome and amazing in life. :/

Truth be told, I find reincarnation rather disturbing.  I don't see any reason to believe in an afterlife, but if there is one I'd much rather still be me there.
  • I like turtles.
    I guess from where I stand, the suffering outweighs the wonderful, awesome, and amazing by quite a bit.
  • edited 2011-04-15 19:36:06
    Personally, I would relish the opportunity to return to a tabula rasa state and overwrite my personality flaws and all the sins I have committed. Although most likely I'll just commit new ones.
    ^^ I'm sorry to hear that. :(  But you know, I think we have the power to change that.

^ But if you don't have your memories or your personality, how are you you, in any sense of the word?
  • Death is cool.  Without it, there'd be an unimaginably huge overpopulation problem.
    Sure, you say that, but what about when it's you or people you care about dying?
  • I guess I don't have as much of a problem with not being me. I have no desire to hold onto this persona after story's end, and I kind of wished I was someone else a lot of the time.
  • edited 2011-04-15 19:47:39
    Because you never know what you might see.
    If that's all reincarnation entails, then I guess I believe in it, too.  I recognise, though, that I'm talking like a materialist, when that's clearly not the set of metaphysics we're discussing here.

I suppose what I'm saying is, I don't understand what you mean when you say you believe in reincarnation if neither personality nor memories are retained.  I don't see how that's not just regular death and some entirely unrelated person being born.
  • I like turtles.
    It has to do with what happens to the soul, I would think.
    But then, what is the difference between reincarnation and soul-stealing?
  • Something about consciousness being transferred, but nothing else. I have no idea what I'm talking about either. After all, it's pure speculation.

Maybe I should look up more stuff on artificial intelligence.

• Master Guardian of the Passive Voice

"I don't fear death, but then I'm a crazy right-wing religious nut so probably not much help to anyone."

I'll drink to that one. :-) Not so much the one about life sucking, though...

• No rainbow star
    I could find solace in reincarnation if it meant that, after the cycle ends, I get the memories from ALL my lives
  • Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    ^ Reincarnation AND afterlife? Isn't that a little greedy? :-D
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Well, I mean for maybe a few moments before my soul dissolves into nothingness
    "Welcome, my son, to Heaven... Psyche!  No, actually, you're just going to fade into oblivion.  Bye!"
  • That sounds like the reincarnation version of "The Last Temptation". At the end of everything, you get back all your memories of all your lives, and the final test is to overcome the need to wallow through them, effectively reliving all your lives one last time.