If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People Who Loudly Proclaim That They're Leaving Somewhere...

edited 2011-04-14 16:12:17 in General
The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
... and yet, they still stick around anyway.

I mean, damn, if you're gonna leave, leave. It's not like anyone will miss you, anyway...

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Don't we already have a Persona Troper thread? :P
  • edited 2011-04-14 16:17:26
    Woki mit deim Popo.
    You mean the ones that type:

"I QUIT THIS PLACE!" or
    "I'M LEAVING FOREVER!"
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    It's for attention you know. We NEVER really want to leave, but think of it like a suicide threat.

Nobody threatens to kill themselves and means it, it is all a plan to get the onlookers to stop them or feel bad about what they have done, or get attention and sympathy. If you were going to kill yourself you would be dead. Otherwise, since you are never really sure  if they are going to kill themselves, it's kind of a given to go "well I should try to do something".

Unless you are edgy and HxC. Then you would just tell them to kill themselves and be done with it.
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Don't we already have a Persona Troper thread? :P

Nah, this has been bugging me for a while. Persona Troper was the straw that broke the camel's back.

@Vacasama: It's more the latter that bugs me. It carries a tone of attention-whorishness.

@ Vorpy: Hm, that's actually a fair point.
  • Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    Hey. It is, really hard for me to not go back to tvtropes right now. It is hard for me to not find the article on, say, the Freedom Force video game, and add in information from an interview on some of the characterization. I can add the same information to the mirror wiki, but then I'd have to actually MAKE the article, and format it. Ugh.
    But yes. I'm trying really hard to live up to my decision to not improve Eddie's personal wiki anymore. I'll let you know if I fail. :)
    ^ Okay, then?
    ::curled up, shivering:: Trying hard. Heh. Heh heh, heh... ::bites at the air::
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    >Eddie's personal wiki

http://i54.tinypic.com/20qxe9i.jpg">
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    ^ Greatest reaction image ever.
  • Crap, now I feel like a hypocrite.
  • edited 2011-04-14 23:57:30
    Master Guardian of the Passive Voice

^^^ Naturellement. :-)

The guy put a great idea together with a couple other people, and he has programming skills. But the material that makes the wiki great was not put there by him. Sometimes I'm not so certain he understands that. I'd rather not be under his thumb.

EDIT: Read the story on his profile. If not for Janitor's intervention, you guys would only have a couple of examples on every trope page. Well, no one's restraining him nowadays. Hopefully, he won't take an active interest in enough things to do much damage. For example, isn't there currently a decree against self-describing tropes? Or against trope descriptions beginning with a story, and only gradually revealing themselves? I notice these things still exist on the page. I wonder if that's just sheer logistics, or if the editors who "fix" things aren't going out of their way to implement the policy.

• Because you never know what you might see.
    I know that story.  That was back when the sole purpose of the wiki was to catalogue tropes, and nothing else.  Janitor wasn't restraining him, she fundamentally changed the site there.  Besides, Eddie was the one who set up Liveblogs, Reviews and the Analysis board.  He likes people to be able to do fun stuff with the works they like, so long as it doesn't conflict with the wiki's aims.

Not saying he's flawless or that you're obligated to like everything he does, but I think you're twisting the facts there a wee bit.

Yes, Eddie had an idea of what he wanted the sole purpose of the site to be. As people interacted with the site, however, it started to deviate from what he expected. And, if no one had stopped him, it's probable that the extra examples would've been curtailed, the site wouldn't have "fundamentally changed", and tvtropes would be slightly less interesting than it actually is today. Nowadays, I don't think he has any peers to let him know when he's making a mistake, simply for the sake of keeping things the way he imagines them.

I know he's done wonderful things programming wise, and that the site wouldn't exist without him. But, he constantly places himself as editor-supreme, which means that any tiny flaws he has in judgment become spread wiki-wide. You cannot argue about issues anymore, because he shapes things to where they are no longer about the issues in question--instead, they become about the person in power. He has the power of a titan on that site, while frequently displaying the mentality of a child. (So maybe it is comparable to one of the Greek deities!) He hasn't really ruined the site--that would take a lot of effort--but some of his decisions have made it gradually worse, and I don't think he realizes it. And I think that if more editors actually "fixed" things in the direction he wants them to be fixed, the site would indeed be a lot worse.

And thank you. This little talk has made it much easier for me to not go back and edit some more. :)

... Can we please go back on topic now? This sour-grapes argument is just getting nowhere.
  • edited 2011-04-15 09:08:00
    Because you never know what you might see.
    Suit yourself.  Goodness knows I've disagreed with some of his decisions, but for the most part I think his changes have tended to be for the better.

And ninja'd.  Yeah, OK.

(For sour grapes to apply, I'd have to deny that I desire a different situation. Since that's not the case, it's more like straight-up envy.)

Agreed, it is lame for a person to loudly proclaim he/she is leaving, only to come back soon afterward. :-)