If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

«'"Kagami Hiiragi snuggling after sex" (the IJBM thread)' (the IJAM thread) got deleted»

edited 2011-04-06 16:11:29 in General
(void)
DO YOU NOT SEE WHY I USE GUILLEMETS NOW

THEY NEST

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Is that what those marks are called?
  • I like guillemets, because they have different opening and closing ones, unlike the so-called 'dumb quotes' most computers still use.

I won't use them, though, because I don't want to change my keyboard to a French layout or whatever.

That, and I can't stand typing quirks, so having one of my own would be immensely hypocritical.
  • You only need to get US-International in order to use guillemets; US-International is probably already installed on your computer.
  • There's also the fact that I can't be arsed to learn a new layout.

Seriously, is it too much to ask that Microsoft include a thing where I can see, like, a map of the new layout? (They sorta have one, but it only shows the letters/numbers/shift keys)
  • edited 2011-04-06 16:48:25
    The reason I don't use those things is because they look stupid.  And besides, regular quotation marks nest too, it's just that I'm too lazy to use them because I don't think there's any easy way of typing them on any keyboard layout I'm familiar with, and so I have to use dumb quotes.

Regardless, I think `` should be converted by the forum software into a left quotation mark, and '' into a right quotation mark.  That's how LaTeX does it, and it seems like it'd be nice if other software did that too.  Of course, LaTeX isn't a forum software... but that's beside the point.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    I always end up reading guillemets as guillemots...
  • edited 2011-04-06 17:09:47
    (void)
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    I hate guillemets...
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    I just don't like how it looks...
  • I admit I have trouble reading them as quotation marks.
  • I had trouble reading them as quotation marks for a long time, but I got used to them thanks to Tzetze.
  • The more people use them, the more these irritate me.  I wouldn't mind it so much if it was just like a < or something, but I don't like the fact that it's two pointy things...

「These things」 are better anyway.
  • a little muffled
    @CentralAvenue: US International is almost the same as US Standard anyway. It has dead keys and turns your right Alt into an AltGr; otherwise it's the same. So really, you don't need to learn a new layout, just how to type the characters you actually want. I don't remember how to type guillemets, for example.

Although, I did just discover how to type a degree symbol in randomly trying to guess how to do guillemets. Awesome! (AltGr + Shift + ;)
  • You should have posted this in the other IJBM, so you can say'"Kagami Hiiragi snuggling after sex" (the IJBM thread) (the IJAM thread) (the other IJBM thread) got deleted'.

• Guillemets in US-International are AltGr+[ and AltGr+].
  • What's an AltGr?

*runs off crying*
  • The right Alt key while you're in US-International mode.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    You also get AltGr by default on a lot of keyboards.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Not on the "United States" keyboard.  You have to at least get "US International".