If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Streaming videos don't... actually stream anything... unless you're actually watching the video.

edited 2011-04-05 19:22:09 in General
I understand the purpose behind this.  They don't want to waste bandwidth sending someone an entire video if they're just going to quit after the first 30 seconds.

Unfortunately, this usually just means it's impossible to watch any streaming videos without getting interrupted by "Buffering..." messages every 30 seconds.  And if I just pause the video at the start and wait for it to download, then of course it'll only end up downloading like one minute of the video, and will wait for me to start watching before it downloads more.

How frustrating...

(normally, I don't need to watch videos online at all, so this isn't actually usually a problem, but I have a homework assignment that requires it, so... yeah...)

Comments

• Rarely happens with me.
  • edited 2011-04-05 19:24:48
    It depends on the website.  Some websites will let you download the entire video before watching it.  Some don't seem to like that.  Or that's how it seems anyway.

This isn't a problem when I'm at home, since my internet connection's fast enough, but at school it sometimes gets pretty slow and it makes it pretty difficult to watch videos.  And unfortunately, school is where I live most of the time.
  • a little muffled
    FUNimation Video does this. It really bugged me back when I still streamed stuff.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I download livestreams to my computer and watch them later.
  • Hey, if they wanted to make money showing you ads, they wouldn't have made it so much of a bitch to view their stuff that you go and pirate it.
  • Yeah, that's kind of bizarre.  I don't even mind having to watch ads when I watch a video.  I do mind, though, that sometimes it's actually faster for me to just torrent the show than it would be to try and get the stream to actually work.  Though usually it's not quite that bad.
  • There's a couple of things that set me off on a "fuck you and your profits".  Sound ads that don't pause, not streaming properly, shitty site layout (looking at you Adult Swim), lag inducing programing.