If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

any universes that started out 'mundane' then veered to Fantastic

edited 2023-08-21 04:50:09 in Media
is there's any Universe that started out grounded, then shifted from (close to) mundane to Fantastic in this: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SlidingScaleOfRealisticVersusFantastic as time goes

I start with up to 2 examples: Scooby Doo(Started from early 80s season of Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo) and Metal Slug game series

Comments

• edited 2023-08-21 18:24:44
    Danganronpa starts out in a realistic setting, if including unrealistically talented kids, but it doesn't take long before it delves into very soft sci-fi.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Can't name a specific example, but I'm pretty sure there's quite a few. The other direction, though...
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    The TV show Roverdale started out as a neogothic teen drama before becoming some sort of Supernatural ripoff.
  • The Red Alert series starts with alternate history, although a time-travel induced one. The first game involves some more unrealistic technology, but starting with the second game it involved whatever silly thing the developers could think of.
  • more universes that got this treatment: DC's Arrowverse, Marvel Cinematic Universe, Saints Row series, Yakuza series?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    ...yeah, superhero comics seem a good example. The catch is, as far as I can say anything about superhero comics, that the oldest characters have been running for like a hundred years by now, so the point when these were still "mundane" stories are so deep in the past it's hardly worth mentioning.

Come to think of it, I had that notion that superhero comics are, like, the last place in popular culture where anything goes. You know, like "weird fiction" of the twenties and thirties. Before fantasy and sci-fi really went their own ways and developed their own separate canons, Conan the Barbarian could happily meet an alien from outer space. (Tower of the Elephant, if you were curious.) And so on and so forth.

Although you bring up newer properties. I know pretty much nothing about Arrowverse and MCU, but, tell me if I'm wrong, they seem like soft reboots for normie audience who aren't comic book nerds. So that would be my first paragraph, but compressed into, like, a decade from the whole long run of the comics.
  • edited 2023-08-29 09:40:23
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Arrow is only normal until season 3 (when reincarnation comes up), then by Season 5 or so The Flash exists and the show starts playing catch up by having weirder and weirder plots.

And I agree about the normie reboot thing I guess.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    From what I've read, it seems the Sailor Moon franchise basically did this.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    It was a story about a transforming girl who was the reincarnation of a moon princess, so it's more an escalation with the Galactica stuff rather than a total 180.
    I've read the Disco Elysium video game starts out as a sort of magical-realism-but-it's-all-in-your-head kind of setting with some fantastical elements that stay in the background and don't do much besides that, but at the end it suddenly gets explicitly fantastical and forces you (as the player and the character) to deal with it. But I've not played it so it's a second-hand opinion.