If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Why the back?

edited 2011-04-03 13:52:36 in Media
Every time in anime, when there's some kind of romantic subplot where to girl slowly realizes she likes the boy, the first indication of it is always the same thing. She will say some variation of "Was his back always this big?" I can't understand this significance. Why is it always the same body part? (I'm aware that this question could probably be answered with "They're Japanese" but still) And what is so significant about a man's back that it is used over and over again to signify a blossoming relationship? Why not the legs, or the nose, or anything else? What's so important about the back?

Comments

• ....I have literally never seen this happen. Ever.
  • Could you give an example?
  • Oh, damn, this is kind of SeenItAMillionTimes. It mostly happens in shounen. The hero has just saved or comforted the love interest (who sees him as a friend or doesn't think much of him). As he's walking away, she'll say this line.

I'll try to find some specific examples.
  • I'd need to see an example to be sure, but it could mean that:
    • The guy in question has become "stronger"/"a man" (you know, broad shoulders and all that)
    • She's only now showing interest in his physique, and maybe "back" is referring to their upper body in general.