If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Sustainability, environment, and other related issues thread.

in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Since I raised the idea and fourteenwings liked it.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Also because I can drop a link, like now. lol

https://www.intelligentliving.co/peruvian-compostable-plates-banana-leaves/

If they can (1) bring the costs down, and (2) do this with more different kinds of leaves, this seems quite promising.
  • edited 2019-10-16 17:23:17
    All that really matters is we could be friends~☆
    I guess I should just summarize my views so we can argue them:
    • Nuclear power is good, and hydro where it works. We should probably reduce use in the rest, but zero or even near-zero use is a nice pie-in the sky idea but in no way realistic for the foreseeable future.
    • We should support agricultural innovation, whether that be genetically modified crops, better overall farming strategies (including supporting more consolidation in order to create economies of scale), incentivizing pesticide development so they can selectively avoid insects we like/need, and so on.
    • We should support lateral means of thinking and incentivize the development of technology that creates efficiencies in how energy is used.
    • Governments should consider a two-pronged approach invest more in decreasing emissions and also invest more in projects that'll alleviate the effects of climate change. That would probably include unpopular policies like mandatory relocations outside of distaster prone zones.
    • Reconsider the incentivizes put toward current "green" methods just because they sound good. It's not economically viable to recycle solar panels (let alone recycling their bits into other solar panels) and that basically means we have to dump them somewhere like supermassive iPhones, and wind-farms aren't just an eyesore, they take up way too much land (and ruin birds migratory patterns).
    • Extinction Rebellion and their ilk are wrong about basically everything and using terrifying language in order to force people into adopting their policies, which don't actually always align with climate change at all. Especially their continuing push against the real, existing policy that governments all over the world are implementing to achieve (semi?) realistic goals.
    • Flying is too convenient to realistically give up.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Sorry to not reply to you yet because I kinda need some good length of time to sit down with that, but here's another neat link:

https://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/news/say-green-cheese

TL;DR camera powered by microbial fuel cells succeeds in proof-of-concept. This could be used to power cameras indefinitely in wilderness areas.