If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

GMH posts about the strange, arcane, and unnecessary art of buying games

edited 2016-03-20 19:08:16 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
original thread title: list of games that I want but I don't want to put on my wishlist yet

because I'm not sure where I want to buy them from, or at least they're not on Steam, and I feel too lazy to check where i can get them

Project Black Sun - not on Steam, get on Desura or GamersGate?
Inexistence - on Steam, is it anywhere else?
Momodora 4 (Reverie Under the Moonlight) - actually probably just from Playism
Rabi-Rabi - this is a Sekai Project game but unfortunately Sekai Project doesn't have their own digital store
RaidersSphere4th - another Sekai Project game
Pharaoh Rebirth + - a Degica game

list of sites to check:

BundleStars
GamersGate
GOG
Humble Store
Playism-Games.com

also this list should contain basically everything on my steam wishlist because that's already basically been pared down to those games that have Steam releases and aren't released elsewhere, but I want to try to buy drm-free where possible

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    i might want to add Diversion-A to the first list

and itch.io to the second list
    i want to start making a spreadsheet to see where everything is offered and for what price and drm-status

but i shouldn't do ti now, it's already past 3 am
  • edited 2016-03-20 18:45:42
    Games I previously thought were Steam-only but I've apparently found DRM-free on itch.io: (NOTE: I have not actually yet bought anything on itch.io so I cannot confirm this works):

Finding Teddy 2 (DRM-free + Steam key)
    8-Bit Adventures - The Forgotten Journey (DRM-free only?)
    Camera Obscura (DRM-free + Steam key)
    Luckslinger (DRM-free + Steam key)
    There Was A Caveman (DRM-free + Steam key)
    Super 3-D Noah's Ark (DRM-free + Steam key)
    Inexistence (DRM-free only? but the description mentions Steam achievements...)

Thus, I can take them off my Steam wishlist.  Well, actually, Camera Obscura was never on it to begin with, but oh well.

Games that have a demo on itch.io but no full version:

CrossCode (full version doesn't exist yet anyway)
    Titan Souls

Games that share the same name as games on my wishlist in some form or another:

Chasm (a freeware submarine game on itch.io, a metroidvania game on Steam)
    20XX (a short freeware game on itch.io, a Mega-Man-like multiplayer thing on Steam)

And I also kicked a few other things off my Steam wishlist.  Down to 50 items.

Also bought Diversion-A.  For US$1.  Came with the soundtrack, apparently.  Might be worth it just for the soundtrack.
  • edited 2016-03-20 18:56:30
    I think I'm more willing to buy things for really low prices like $1 on one hand because it's a really small amount, but also because I know that credit card fees are a thing.

Anyway, Diversion-A seems like a traditional shmup with a mediocre interface, rather cruddy art, and pretty decent music.  Gameplay features a relatively slow player unit but the bullets aren't that fast either.  They're like danmaku-speed bullets, but also danmaku-slowdown-speed player-unit movement.
    Well now I have this: https://itch.io/c/49028/quintlindwurms-personal-wishilst

I dunno if they're ever going to e-mail me about this stuff getting discounted.

I do kinda want Finding Teddy 2 a lot.  And Inexistence too.

I guess it's up to me to check back.