If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM: CG wireframes in games (especially RPGs) means characters bob up and down

edited 2016-03-05 21:30:29 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
...and occasionally flail uselessly all the time, just to show off movement.

See, part of the beauty of sprites was that there usually wasn't too much motion.  It didn't seem like everything was standing on a ship deck in a storm.

Comments

• If making extra sprite frames were as easy as exaggerating keyframes, you can bet most developers would've gone with it.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-03-05 20:55:20
    Most of them went out of their way to animate walking in place, all the time.  Sometimes when they were supposed to be in bed or something.
  • Also... isn't basically any art in video games necessarily CG (except for live-action FMV games or whatever), whether it's 2D or 3D?
  • edited 2016-03-05 21:31:06
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

DYRE wrote: »
    Also... isn't basically any art in video games necessarily CG (except for live-action FMV games or whatever), whether it's 2D or 3D?

Good point; I should clarify to indicate wireframe models.

Bee wrote: »
    Most of them went out of their way to animate
    walking in place, all the time.  Sometimes when they were supposed to be
    in bed or something.

Wait, when did this happen?  The in bed bit.
  • You know how FF and a whole bunch of other games let you walk under bed covers to look like you were in bed?  I forget which game it was, but I remember one of them still animated walking.
  • I think I've seen it, too. I also think I've seen one where you can "push" the bedsheets.

(also if you're curious, the actual word is mesh (and mesh object/model), and 3D CG is... well, 3DCG)