If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM: Deadpool

edited 2016-02-27 23:08:11 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
TVT told me Deadpool was this groundbreaking enterprise in totally messing with the fourth wall and being really funny at its self-awareness.

A Deadpool game came across my Steam Discovery Queue.  I watched the trailer.

It wasn't about breaking the fourth wall.  It was basically all about making off-color jokes in ways that appeal to people who think that off-color sexual suggestions are funny.  Any instances of breaking the fourth wall that it included were incidental and more like an afterthought.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    The Deadpool game does break the fourth wall, including Deadpool making requests of the player and filling them in on Marvel universe setting details. Even the narration (via the wording of objectives and whatnot) gets in on the joke. If there's anything particularly disappointing about that game (which I only played for fifteen minutes at a friend's place), it's that its fourth-wally-ness is limited to dialogue and jokes, rather than working its way into game mechanics. 

I believe the latest Marvel vs. Capcom game, for instance, features a move where Deadpool can temporarily use his HP bar as a weapon. That's a great use of a fourth wall specific to video games, as it doesn't merely have Deadpool refer to the player(s), but has him refer to elements of the medium he appears within. And in a way that's mechanically relevant. 

From what I played of the Deadpool game, it's a pretty fun and even interesting hack-and-slash/shooter. Hitting your opponent with gunfire counts towards your combo count just as striking them with your hand weapons does, making it one of the few games that contains both options and encourages you to use them concurrently. 
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-28 05:30:29
    It's one of those things that either the humor clicks with you or it doesn't, because it pervades just about everything he's in.  I loved the movie, but my parents would assuredly find it tacky and tasteless.

As usual though, expect TVT to be...excitable about any form of metahumor ever.  The character was a parody of the DCU climbing up its own ass, and should be taken as such at all times.
  • edited 2016-02-28 07:18:51
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Oddly, I am far more amused at usages of foul language for something like your post just now than for edge. I find Deadpool's humor tasteless but I chuckled at your description of what the DCU was doing.

But yeah, I guess it was to be expected that TVT would be...well, shall I say, "climbing up its own ass" over metahumor.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-28 19:32:31
    So I just watched the trailer and...yeah, that's kind of a shitty trailer.  The kind of stuff you usually see Deadpool doing is definitely that coarse, but usually just feels more stupid and wacky than stupid and edgy.  I mean the edgy is there, but like, it's usually more for surreal wtf than "look at me I'm so edgy brah".

Okay.  You know how the old Mortal Kombat games had fatalities that resulted in multiple skulls/ribcages flying out of one dude?  That's how Deadpool's violence should be taken.  Or maybe like an Egoraptor Awesome video.

Like, he's the guy that beats up Carnage with dubstep, randomly cooks 300,000 pancakes, or cuts his finger off just so he can do "pull my finger" the right way.