If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM II's Four Year Anniversary

2»

Comments

• edited 2015-01-16 21:37:46

Though I appreciate the self reflection, the article feels like it's saying "it wasn't right to mock and criticize people's sympathy towards these guys that disagreed with us... because they didn't actually disagree with us on most things".

EDIT: OK, never mind, it actually does get to the issue further down.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

From what little I know of it, seems like British left is a weird bunch.

• edited 2015-01-19 07:16:18

I realized I haven't answered the questionnaire:

What do you think of the last year? What has happened that you like or dislike?

In one word, routine. Even the worst of it (GG flamewars) don't seem all that big deal in the grand scheme of things.

What do you think about IJBM's nowadays?

Still a bunch of peeps that are cool to follow when they actually talk and stuff.

What would you want IJBM to be in the future? How would we go about making it so?

The same but more active/populated. Too many "how do we get people here" conversations have demonstrated that I have no idea how to go about it.

Edit: Now that you (I) mention it, I think getting rid of the account request system (and putting in a captcha) would go a long way in not repelling people in their first steps in joining us.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Most of the applicants we get are suspected spammers, and the minority includes some ban-evaders.  Then there are a few people who state in their reason that they're here to complain about getting banned from TVT...which is probably the hardest call to make since many of us came from TVT ourselves (not necessarily from being banned though).

I think mod consensus has been to reject these people mostly, as a way to avoid drama, though honestly I'd prefer letting them on board and then either getting them to change when they realize that we're mainly former tropers ourselves who have seen it a million times, or just bore them when they realize we're not particularly interested in arguing about it.  Frankly speaking, they sometimes have legit grievances, though those grievances may be buried under angry internet ranting, though I also understand some people here probably don't want to talk much about TVT anymore.

• I thought the lack of captcha was a technical issue.

• edited 2015-01-19 13:25:39
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

On paper, it's a technical issue, but it's certainly given us the chance to check out applicants individually and thoroughly.  By which I mean stuff like googling their username and e-mail address if they have a suspicious application reason.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Would there be a point in making a new category, TVT, so all TVT-related complaining could be relegated to it? Perhaps we could establish some rule that TVT whining must be kept within multi-user conversations, with some official venue to request to be included? The latter is because I doubt the site's software allows to make threads that can be seen only when you switch on some option in user's preferences. Or perhaps make a single TVT thread, pin it, and make it a forum offense to post about TVT outside of it.

What about those TVT refugees? Can't they be told they can stay if they don't mention TVT too much? I mean, I can imagine there are passable folks among them. 

• I'm not sure how well that would work. A few years back, over at HH, we had one designated thread for TV Tropes discussion and it was easily the most volatile part of the forum, so we closed it. Granted, we did defy the quarantine reasoning by letting the talk continue elsewhere for a bit, but it could still get so volatile that we ended up banning it outright.

The quarantine reasoning doesn't work. It didn't work for Troper Tales, it didn't work for HH's TV Tropes thread, and it wouldn't work here.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Problem with the notion of quarantine is that it also has a side-effect of encouraging talk about it by providing a safe haven for it.

I think it's probably better to let it dissipate.  Many people have opinions they want to express, but generally speaking they want to find people who are receptive of those opinions, to express them to.  When no one cares to listen, people often stop having much to say about whatever topic it is.  They might move it elsewhere, but that's not something we can really do much about.

• Since IA posted in the wrong thread:

I'd say let them in anyway, if they behave stupidly it's easy enough to go DING DONG BANNU. 

Okay then.

I was mostly concerned with those "TVT refugees" you were speaking of. Been thinking there might've been some sensible people among them, shouldn't hurt the forum. The more they could be banned the first moment they do something wrong.