If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Touchscreen phones

edited 2014-12-26 13:15:39 in Tech
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

"For [one thing], press 1.  For [another thing], press 2." etc.

Button phone:

1. finger reaches up to appropriate number, while phone is still next to ear.

2. button is pressed.  nothing spoken over the phone is missed.

Touchscreen phone (LG L90)

1. remove phone from ear.

2. wait for screen to come back on.

3. press button for dial pad.

4. press number.  Miss at least 2-3 seconds of whatever the other end is saying.

If you know of a way to stop this phone from turning off the screen based on its camera sensing whether it's being covered, or a way to make it default to dial pad or show dial pad along with the various buttons, I'm all ears.

Comments

• The screen turning off is actually an attempt at solving a different problem inherent in the concept of touchscreen phones--i.e., if the screen stayed on, you might accidentally touch things with your face while you're holding it up to your ear.

Some ancient versions of Android kept the screen on but "locked" it, and required you to manually "unlock" it to touch buttons, which is a different approach, but not a much more elegant or efficient one, really.

Agreed on the not showing the dialpad by default though. My phone still does, but it seems like something Google is trying to phase out.

• My arms are falling off!

Rest in piece phones with more than three physical buttons ;;

I'm enjoying my iPhone 5S and I got some good mileage out of my previous phone, a Samsung Galaxy S3, but buttons with tactile response beat out touchscreen buttons in situations when you can't comfortably look at the screen.

• edited 2014-12-28 04:13:59
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The screen turning off is actually an attempt at solving a different problem inherent in the concept of touchscreen phones--i.e., if the screen stayed on, you might accidentally touch things with your face while you're holding it up to your ear.

Some ancient versions of Android kept the screen on but "locked" it, and required you to manually "unlock" it to touch buttons, which is a different approach, but not a much more elegant or efficient one, really.

Agreed on the not showing the dialpad by default though. My phone still does, but it seems like something Google is trying to phase out.

I'm aware of what it's trying to fix, and I definitely appreciated that.  But I'd just like an option to disable that -- because I can easily work around it by holding only the tip of my phone up to my ear.

Locking the screen but keeping it on is another idea, though if your screen is on for an extended call, the phone can get pretty hot next to your face.  Still, most of my calls are pretty short so I'd probably rather it do that.  And I've had flip phones and other older models of cell phones do that.  Might be a better option since I'd be able to actually prep my finger on top of the correct position, too.

What you say about phasing out the having a dial pad is making me annoyed/worried.