If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Programs that store files in my "Documents" folder

edited 2011-01-11 14:24:29 in General
I'm kinda anal about my Documents folder. I like having total control over every file and folder within it, but some programs helpfully decide to store their files or settings there, and I can't easily move them.

Hey, developers, see how it's (sometimes) called "My Documents"? That's because it's for, you guessed it, my documents.

If you need to store data for your app, have it make a folder in C:\Users\Charlotte\AppData.

If you need to store just general stuff for your app, just have it make a folder in C:\Users\Charlotte.

Is that so hard?

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.
    How dare you expect devs to make sense?! Next you'll be telling us that you want save data located in an easy to locate place, that you are informed of!
  • Oh fuck it, why do programs so often insist on saving in some obscure place in the Program Files?
  • I'm not talking about the default folder for saving files you create; defaulting to Documents makes sense for that. I'm talking about the programs that decide the Documents folder is a good place to create a folder full of settings files and other crap you'll almost never need to access directly.

Games are bad about this. Why put my Sims 2 save files in Documents? It's not as if I'm ever going to manually open them.
  • edited 2011-01-12 01:01:08
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It would be nice if EVERY program asked me where to store stuff.

I like knwoing where stuff is on my hard drive.

Incidentally, this is partly why I dislike Macs; they're designed for me to install and forget, rather than to install to C:\Programname\ and then dig up Programname.exe to create a shortcut to it and stick it in my quick launch ONLY IF I ACTUALLY NEED IT.
  • "It would be nice if EVERY program asked me where to store stuff.

I like knwoing where stuff is on my hard drive."

Agreed. It just feels wrong otherwise.