If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Playing a video game the 'wrong' way.

GAPGAP
edited 2014-12-15 17:25:34 in General

I don't get how when you play a game for fun or just for the experience, you somehow playing the game 'wrong' the way. Real 'professionals' need to know every equation, play the game on extremely hard mode, beat the game in under two hours and find every secret to beat up other pro gamers. So what if I don't about all the video game terminology and I don't how about how game itself works? What if I don't want to be a pro gamer? How do you play games the 'wrong' way?

Comments

• edited 2014-12-15 17:30:43
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Some people have trouble realizing that it's okay if someone enjoys something a different way.

So yeah, there's no wrong way to enjoy a game.  There are ways that some other people may not like, but that shouldn't matter to you.

This applies in general to any media by the way.  If you're enjoying it, it doesn't really matter how much other people don't like the way you enjoy it.

Now if you want to talk to other people about your enjoyment, that might be a bigger issue.  But for your own personal enjoyment, it doesn't matter.

• Never listen to tourneytards, fanboys, casuals who insist certain genres are for the lifeless, and anyone hawking any sort of pseudo-scientific moralism.

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-12-15 22:18:26

EASY MODO is scientifically lifeless you tourney casualtard.  Fan.

• edited 2015-10-09 07:02:55

[user deleted]

• Still, does playing on easy, not counting frame data and just plain not looking for the ideal team for tournaments count as playing game the wrong?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The definition of "wrong" requires that something else -- its opposite -- be defined as "correct".

What is "correct"?

For some people, the "correct" way to play is to do so only certain ways.  For example, in ways that reduce the randomness as much as possible so as to make skill the most important determinant of an outcome.

In other cases -- such as the way Kraken just put it -- "correct" is defined by being something that does not trigger failure states -- i.e. Game Over screens.

But in every case, "correct" is a basically arbitrary definition, based on context.  "Correct" is defined relative to a certain objective.

So there is no "true" correct or wrong way to play a game -- there is just whether it serves a certain purpose.  People just call "wrong", ways that don't serve whatever purpose it is they're talking about.  As a convenience.

• What about games like Dwarf Fortress?  I mean, the failure states are pretty much half the point.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Depends on whether we differentiate "correct" from "intended".