If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Female characters in animé/manga rarely wear pants

edited 2011-04-01 23:04:10 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Pants are so much more normal and versatile, and don't make for cheap fanservice.

Comments

• BobBob
    edited 2011-04-01 23:07:19
    Wait, really? Huh, I've never noticed this.

And this just supports my theory that Lady Gaga is an animé/manga character.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Because Women aren't allowed to wear pants in Japan.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I didn't pay attention until I looked more carefully at character designs in order to help me come up with character concepts, and when I started paying attention, I noticed this.

I mean, let's look at, say...the Nanoha cast.
    * The formal female military attire has skirts.
    * The big three (Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate) all wear skirts or dresses as the lower-torso/legs part of their barrier jackets.
    * The Numbers wear bodysuits.  This can count either way.
    * Teana wears a skirt.
    * Lulu wears a dress.
    * Agito wears a skirt.
    * Subaru wears short shorts.
    * Schach wears a dress (though that's to be expected as a nun), but bike shorts when transformed.
    * I have this one piece of fanart that depicts Nanoha, Fate, Ginga, Erio, Caro, Subaru, Teana, and Vivio.  Fate, Nanoha, and Caro are wearing dresses or longer skirts; Ginga, Vivio, and Teana are wearing shorter-than-knee-length skirts.  Only Subaru and Erio (who is male) are wearing pants.
    * Caro's barrier jacket is a dress.
  • edited 2011-04-01 23:20:02
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Every girl but Mayu in Elfen Lied wears a skirt.

Everyone in Code Geass wears pants. Except for Notto desu shitto again man

Everyone in Hellsing wears pants, except for that one girl who dies.
  • RahXephon has several girls that wear pants, skirts and dresses.
  • edited 2017-07-20 09:13:38
    A lot of anime is set in a high school, where the students' uniform includes a skirt.  So at least in those cases, it's justified, I guess.

But yeah, pants and even shorts aren't as common as skirts and dresses, even in situations where you'd expect pants.

Hm... let's see... (picking anime randomly from what I have on my computer right now)

To Aru Kagaku No Railgun, while the characters are almost always wearing their school uniforms, seems to have a fair number of characters who wear pants when not wearing their uniform.

Princess Tutu.  It's called Princess Tutu.  That should tell you what kind of clothes you can expect to see.  So, yeah, no pants.  Just dresses and tutus.

Star Driver.  Even ignoring the school uniforms, there's still not really a lot of pants on the girls.

Strike Witches.  lol.

Kowarekake No Orgel.  The girl wears a dress.

K-ON! mostly is school uniforms, but there's lots of instances of characters wearing pants when they aren't in school.
    Gurren Lagann - Booty Shorts. No Skirts (I think).

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni - Mion and Shion wear pants.

Umineko No Naku Koro Ni - No pants on any of the girls, except for the old woman.

Golden Boy - I don't remember anymore.

Maria+Holic - Common to wear pants, only the tranny wears skirts.

Umi - Nobody wears pants.

Basilisk - not sure, don't remember
  • edited 2011-04-02 14:11:33
    • Gall Force: everybody's in the military. Not a skirt in sight, unless you count Sally's nun's habit.
    • Black Blood Brothers: a mixed bag. Mimiko wears a mid-calf split skirt; Wong wears an ankle - length trenchcoat but it looks like there are black pants underneath; Cassie wears pants.
    • Sands of Destruction: almost all females wear skirts or dresses, but Morte's socks are so long they're practically pants.
    • Macross: Of female characters, only Meltrandi wear pants.
    • Last Exile: Lavie is the only female who wears pants.  Pilots & mechanics have jumpsuits.
    • Rosario to Vampire: only guys wear pants
  • Skirts are easier to draw than pants, that's why.

Skirts:  Rough triangles, meaning three lines.

Pants:  Two rectangles smushed together at the top.  Meaning six lines.
    Skirts are 4 lines....>:#
    Wait nevermind it is three
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    I don't mind the prevalence of skirts. Then again, I don't mind (read: like) cheap fanservice,

But a bit more variance (read: more pants-wearing girls) would still be nice.
  • Like Nyan, I don't mind the prevelance of skirts at all. I actually with more girls IRL wore them...
  • Thought you didn't like real girls.
  • Dammit, why the fuck do people still remember my old shitty threads?
  • Old shitty threads? You mentioned it all the fucking time in Fetishes, dude.
  • Can't tight pants make for cheap fanservice as well?
  • They can, but they don't provide pantyshots, which thousands of otaku somehow find sexy.
  • I don't get it, especially in cases where you have to freeze-frame the show to actually see the shot.
    I think they consider it something of a scavenger-hunt.

Yeah, I don't know either.
  • edited 2011-04-02 23:24:01
    I actually do have fun trying to find pantyshots in anime.  I dunno why, but... yeah.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I guess I can imagine that.  Like a slightly warped version of Where's Waldo.
    Where's Pantsu?
  • Where's Waldo: Agent Aika Edition

-two seconds in-

There's Waldo.

So, instead of seeing Tompkins in his underWhere're you going, what're you doing, whyda you be so short?, you get to see teenytiny!Cheerleader?
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-04-03 20:41:39
    In English please, glenn?
    因此我們將不會看到時,湯普金斯只穿著你去哪兒你在幹什麼你為什麼這麼,相反,我們將看到蠅頭啦啦隊長。

[Thus, we will not see Tompkins when he is wearing only under-Where are you going? What are you doing? Why do you be so short?; instead, we will see teeny tiny Cheerleader.]