If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Job hunting bugs me -the sequel-: Professional references

edited 2014-11-15 07:57:22 in General
My arms are falling off!

Many online job applications require that you state at least three professional references. The motivation behind this is to ensure that the people that companies are looking to hire have people who can vouch for the prospective employees' skills and work ethic. And there's a difference between this and a personal reference.

Now, here's the problem: I don't have much "professional" experience to my name. Aside from being part of a small-name press group (one that's just big enough to qualify for press badges at fan conventions) for the past three years with an editor-in-chief who I'm on excellent terms with and could vouch for me, I've got very few if any to back me on what little experience I have--I've had a job, but as mentioned in my other job hunting thread, it lasted for two months and I was on neutral terms with my supervisor.

Instructors at college and universities count, apparently? But I never knew any of my instructors particularly long enough for them to be on particularly good terms with me, though several instructors are ones I took two or three classes with.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Maybe try to find an instructor you took a few classes with and did decently well in, and ask them nicely to help be a professional reference?

I dunno.  I kinda suck at this too.

• It's even worse when they limit professional references to the last two years.  The average unemployed worker is there for like 40 weeks, and recent grads upwards of a few years.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

i was about to say "start your own business?"

then i realized that, ironically, staying employed by starting one's own business actually wouldn't necessarily yield recent professional contacts either

• My arms are falling off!

Maybe try to find an instructor you took a few classes with and did decently well in, and ask them nicely to help be a professional reference?

I dunno.  I kinda suck at this too.

My uni grades aren't the greatest. They kind of began to falter about 1/4 of the way through my uni career.