If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Fire Emblem's "final death" mechanic

edited 2014-09-28 13:15:48 in Media
My arms are falling off!

I have friends who play FE:A, and insist on playing on Classic because Casual takes the impact out of dying units...yet most likely they reload saves if someone they like dies.

I find that playing FE games where units are gone permanently upon death (which is to say, most of the series, and Awakening on Classic) only holds weight if one never reloads saves during a battle throughout the entire game. Otherwise it turns into Save Scumming: The Game; any emotional impact to be had from a unit's death is lost.

"Oh noooo, my waifu/husbando died...THAT'S OKAY, I'LL JUST RELOAD."

Of course then we run into issues like the fact that certain characters dying causes a game over and therefore reloading, which people could abuse on a "no savescumming" run.

Comments

• edited 2015-10-09 07:11:52

[user deleted]

• My arms are falling off!

Might do a Hard/CAS run next time. (I'm one chapter from clearing the game out on Normal/CLA, but I've been putting it off because of Paralogues.)

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

It's not about the impact of the characters death as a character, but as a failing of you, as a commander. That's why they save-scum: to learn from their mistakes.