If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The suffix "-gate"

edited 2014-09-07 12:28:00 in General

I don't know why, but this particular snowclone has always grated on me.

Comments

• edited 2014-09-07 12:39:28

For me, it's the way it's used to score brownie points for one political side that bugs. It doesn't help that a lot of "-gates" are manufactured controversies, e.g. Climategate. Oh, and that one especially annoys me because it's a transparent attempt to use politics against science.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Climategate isn't just bullshit, it's bullshit plus cowshit.

And yeah, this does bug me too, since "-gate" doesn't actually mean "scandal".  Just like "-athon" doesn't mean "doing something for a long distance or period of time".

• I think part of what gets to me is that very few of the things people attach "-gate" to actually resemble the Watergate fiasco in any meaningful way.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

that's why I now use "-ghazi" for scandals that are explicitly absurd, so that we water (lol) down the memory of Watergate any further

• Wicked223 wrote:

that's why I now use "-ghazi" for scandals that are explicitly absurd, so that we water (lol) down the memory of Watergate any further

...ooh, I like that!

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What did Cyrenaica ever do to you?

• What did the Selesnyans do this time?

• a little muffled

actually in the original ravnica block vitu-ghazi kinda was the centre of a conspiracy