If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People making snide remarks about motorcyclists

edited 2014-08-27 15:29:12 in General

This mostly relates to my immediate family, but admittedly, is still pretty annoying. You sound so full of yourself when you make comments like "He's so cool" or "He so amazing, he doesn't need to wear a helmet at all" and so on. This is not me taking issue with sarcasm, as I tend to use it often. I do however take issue with seemingly needless snide remarks. Who cares if they drove fast? You don't make fun of yourself when you or your friends drive your vehicles fast. Further, who cares about them all? It's just... really perplexing to me, that someone would have as big of an affect on you in these few moments where you see them while going about your personal business that that is both somehow warranted, and funny. Yes it's stupid to not wear a helmet, but does acting high-and-mighty about it change anything other than giving you a few moments of being In The Right? This applies to people that drive cars excessively fast too, and basically anything else. I only get annoyed when people, say, drive 60 in a 30 or 40, but that's neither here nor there.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Personally, I dislike those motorcyclists whose bikes are obnoxiously loud.  Otherwise, I don't much mind them, though I do mind to be extra cautious when driving behind them since shit could go down extra fast in traffic if it does happen.

As for complaining about other drivers, I know that my dad has a habit of doing this, which irks my mom.

• I find the obnoxiously loud noises uncomfortable too. Still pretty useless commentary.

• I agree that acting "high-and-mighty" is silly even if motorcyclists really should be wearing protective gear.

As for driving excessively fast, I actually do think it is fair to be annoyed by that. Driving super fast unnecessarily puts other people at risk. In my mind, there rarely is a good reason to make a dangerous activity even more dangerous by going more than a couple mph over the speed limit. I guess one exception to that rule is when pretty much everyone around you is driving way faster than the speed limit, but that would not really happen in the first place if people decided to be more careful when driving.

While complaints about bad drivers can often be legitimate, I feel like it is usually a good idea to try to be calm when driving, since from what I can tell, getting angry rarely makes you a better driver. That said, depending on what another driver does, I think it can become awfully hard to maintain your composure.

• LouieW wrote:
    As for driving excessively fast, I actually do think it is fair to be annoyed by that. Driving super fast unnecessarily puts other people at risk. In my mind, there rarely is a good reason to make a dangerous activity even more dangerous by going more than a couple mph over the speed limit. I guess one exception to that rule is when pretty much everyone around you is driving way faster than the speed limit, but that would not really happen in the first place if people decided to be more careful when driving.

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting angry at people not following the rules in this case, I just want to clarify. It's the smugness and silly remarks that tend to come with those complaints that bother me.

• edited 2014-08-28 14:18:02
    Loser

LouieW wrote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting angry at people not following the rules in this case, I just want to clarify. It's the smugness and silly remarks that tend to come with those complaints that bother me.

Ah, okay, I apologize for misunderstanding your original post then. I agree that it can be annoying when people are needlessly harsh when talking about their fellow drivers (and motorcyclists). I wonder if part of the reason why people tend to make those types of remarks more when driving is that you can say them within the relative safety of your own vehicle knowing that the target of those comments will likely never hear them.

• LouieW wrote:

LouieW wrote:

I apologize for misunderstanding your original post. I agree that it can be annoying when people are needlessly harsh when talking about their fellow drivers (and motorcyclists). I wonder if part of the reason why people tend to make those types of remarks more when driving is that you can say them within the relative safety of your own vehicle knowing that the target of those comments will likely never hear them.

You're fine. I can definitely see that being one reason, yeah. Just like with a lot of other negative commentary about others, even if this is definitely on the mild side. Generally.

• Reminds me of when my mother used to snark about motorcyclists riding side by side in a single lane...until I pointed out that's actually legal in this state.