If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Internet Bragging

edited 2014-08-26 20:17:48 in Webspace
Loser

First off, I have a hard time understanding how someone could say or type the word "humblebrag" with a straight face. I am not sure what is worse, that type of false modesty or boasting itself.

Moving on, it bugs me when people online talk up themselves for no real reason. It seems perfectly fine to me to tell a friend or family member if you are doing well in school, have received a scholarship, have a high-paying job, or what have you. In that context, you are telling people close to you about stuff that has happened to you, which is pretty normal and justified. I think problems start when you take the next step and mention to random people on the internet how you maintained or currently maintain a great GPA, have three degrees, and make $180k a year. I feel like this type of behavior can be particularly frustrating when it happens in comments, since it can seem even more like an effort to impress strangers.

I understand that when some people share such information about themselves, they intend it more as stating a fact than as bragging. It might be the case that to them having three degrees, taking tons of advanced courses, and being a doctor or engineer is not much of a feat at all.  In those cases, the person sharing the information does not have that bad of an intent.

Still, I think it can be beneficial for people in those more fortunate situations to be more considerate of those of us who are not quite as super smart, rich, or privileged. This does not necessarily mean never talking about oneself, just being understanding enough to mention one's accomplishments discreetly when there is a very good reason to do so. In my view, adopting that approach can help prevent elitism and discourage jealously by deemphasizing certain things that may otherwise divide people. Well, that is a thought at least.

Comments

• This behaviour surprises me as well. I'm not sure what one has to gain by impressing random strangers on the internet. Maybe it's like troper tales or the occasional shameless bragging on notalwaysfriendly.com where there are no real consequences, but those rely on anonymity. People who brag on their public profiles confuse me more, in that regard.

• edited 2015-10-09 07:41:52

[user deleted]

• Of course, a lot of braggers are liars.